The Game of Life / Common App topic # 1

yycho0426 5 / 13 2  
Prompt : Evaluate a significant experience, achievement, risk you have taken, or ethical dilemma you have faced and its impact on you.

I hope my essay fits this prompt :p

I am not really familiar with English expression, grammar and phrase. Please check if there is any awkward sentences. Thank you.

I love playing games regardless of their genre. Most games, especially strategic games, are like a downsized version of life. I always agonize how to win or finish the game successfully. I sometimes study other players' strategies in order to supplement my own, but I usually build my strategies from scratch. Although it takes a lot of time to find the most efficient way to win each game, I always manage to find a way to complete each stage and move on to the next. As I surpass my best scores in each stage, I gain experience points. Just like in real life, I can use this newly gained experience in the next stage.

I don't like moving on to the next stage in my games without feeling like I have completely mastered my current stage. For this same reason, I decided to prolong my high school graduation and stay for an extra year. Because I transferred from Korea in August 2010, I did not have enough credit to graduate. I knew that I could make up those credits by taking online classes or summer school, but I did not think that was the best strategy for completing this stage of my life.

During my first year in an American high school (my junior year), I was trying to graduate by 2012, so I took as many classes as possible in order to graduate. However, I suddenly recalled a game I had played before. It is one of the hardest games in the world and each stage took a very long time to complete. I decided that the best strategy in this game would be to simply focus on basic goals, just collecting the required items and defeating the minimum number of enemies. As I proceeded through the stages, the game became harder because I did not have enough skill points and items. After a hard time of playing, I became very disappointed because I was not even close to the average score. After I read a review of the game written by one of its highest scorers, I realized I did not need to hurry because all those items and points from each stage would help me to complete the post stages easier.

When I realized how similar this game was to my life in high school, I ran to my counselor and asked if I could stay one more year so that I would learn more and be better prepared for college before leaving high school. I needed to become better experienced with new atmosphere and culture, develop myself so that I could survive and be successful, and find the way to finish this stage successfully while gaining all the experience and knowledge as possible. While some people took pity on me for making this difficult choice, I know it is for the best. My extra year in high school has afforded me greater preparation so that I can achieve the high score in the game of life.
earth 2 / 4  
your essay is good
OP yycho0426 5 / 13 2  
Is that it? I need some comments though :(

Home / Undergraduate / The Game of Life / Common App topic # 1