The game of "Steal the Bacon" -Common APP Topic of Choice Essay

mishpish93 1 / 3  
Considering in mind that im applying to upenn, udelaware, nyu, and drexel... please help me with my essay. basically, its no where near done and some of the ideas just pop up all over the place and idk what direction to take.

A School of Stereotypes

"Number eighteen!"

In a frantic game of "Steal the Bacon" one afternoon of 8th grade gym class, my number was called. I remained seated. There was nothing more juvenile and pointless, in my opinion, than submitting myself to steal "bacon" (or in our school's case, a tire) that I didn't even want to begin with.

The game of "Steal the Bacon" is simple. The class is divided into two teams and each team member is given a number between one and half of however many students we had in class that day. Because each team possesses members with corresponding numbers to the other team, when a number is called, a student from each team with that number rushes to "steal the bacon" from the center of the gym before the other person is able to acquire it.

Quite frankly, I thought it was stupid.

By this point in the school year, this nonchalant and stubborn attitude was generally expected of me by my peers. One student in particular, David, seemed still unable to fathom how anyone could possibly behave this way towards this crucial game in which we would earn points that would never matter again.

"Michele! What are you doing? Go! Go get the tire or we won't get the points! Oh my god!"
Oh David. He stood, one arm outstretched to the tire in the center of the gym, facing me with bulging eyes. His face was twisted up in rage and he looked at me as if I were a complete idiot that simply sought to ruin his life. His mouth hung open as if he were about to yell some more, and then he wiped his sweaty face with his already sweat-stained gym shirt.

The sight of this made me laugh.

I wasn't trying to rebel, I just refused to run for something that I didn't want or need. My daily refusals never directly affected my grade so I figured, why waste the energy?

I've never been the type of person that could put my effort into anything that I was not passionate about. I considered myself to be a fairly competitive person but the competition needed to be worth fighting for.

Although I loved school, I became stuck in stereotypes. I was the smart girl. I was the artsy girl. I was the sarcastic girl. I was the really tall girl. I felt like I stood out in enough ways that I didn't need to be the athletic girl.
Gillatorby 1 / 11  
Although the topic may be different, it shows nothing about you besides the fact that you're indifferent and lack passion--which, imo, isn't something you want to convey to an adcom.
Yuchenli 1 / 4  
I get how you are trying to convey that sense that you are only motivated to do things that you like. But maybe you can emphasize on incidences where you are greatly interested and motivated and contrast that event with the one you have described in your essay. Perhaps that would do the trick.
OP mishpish93 1 / 3  
"you can emphasize on incidences where you are greatly interested and motivated and contrast that event with the one you have described in your essay. Perhaps that would do the trick."

thats exactly what i was unsure about. i wanted to compare a subject im least interested in (gym) to a subject that im passionate about (world history, art.. blahblah) but i hadnt quite gotten there yet

thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / The game of "Steal the Bacon" -Common APP Topic of Choice Essay