Gazing @ Stars; Bryn Mawr - Educational Experience

0livegreen 5 / 11 4  
Please attach an essay of no more than one page telling us what you think you would gain from the educational experience at Bryn Mawr and what you would contribute to the community.

After being apart for many months, my best friend and I were sitting on the brick steps of my house on a balmy summer night spectating the nightfall's performance of flashing lights and trying to make sense of her celestial connect-the-dots.

"What about that one?"
"That's a star."
"I knew it! Okay, what about this one here?"
"A planet."
"What? I thought it was a star!" I sulked. "How can you tell?"
"..because stars twinkle and planets don't."
Taken aback by this, I pondered it for some time. How could two things that look so similar to each other at first glance be differentiated to quickly?

"Why?" I finally asked.
"..because stars are much farther away from us than planets, this causes their light to be bent and so when we see them.."
To me, there is something romantic about learning something you never knew before, how increasing my knowledge can steal my breath away and leave me wanting more. For me, sharing this love for learning is incredibly personal; I often visit libraries and bookstores with my dearest companions. It is no coincidence that those who I choose to surround myself with share this love for discovery. My life is composed of gathering fragments of information, and somehow piecing them together to become more complete. My interests range in a variety of subjects, which is why I think an education that focuses on expertise across multiple disciplines, would benefit me most.

Climactic discoveries don't necessarily need to happen in a classroom; learning can happen anywhere, at any time. I want to continue to nourish my relationship with knowledge, and at Bryn Mawr I not only will be doing so each day, I will be surrounded by people who share the same passion and desire for unlocking the unknown.

it might be a bit short, i had some trouble on knowing what to write please help soon!
katev 18 / 120 24  
spectating the nightfall's performance of flashing lights and trying to make sense of her celestial connect-the-dots

Sounds a little too convoluted with the synonyms. "watching the night's performance of flashing lights ...

trying to make sense of her celestial connect-the-dots

this doesn't really make sense. It sounds like you were trying to create shapes from the stars, but that is not what you later describe

It is really short if they say "a page." To include more, you definitely could talk more about Bryn Mawr. I could replace "Bryn Mawr" with "college" and it would make sense. What separates college from high school is that people make the conscious choice to go to college. Therefore, you will undoubtedly find people who want to learn while you're at college. Why Bryn Mawr? There should be something specific in our essay about why you chose Bryn Mawr if you want to stand out amongst the thousands.
VVCepheiA 11 / 30 3  
The prompt asks you to tell "What you think you would gain from the educational experience at Bryn Mawr " and "What you would contribute to the community".

I would recommend write more about your potential contributions and be more specific on BMC.
Good luck :)

Home / Undergraduate / Gazing @ Stars; Bryn Mawr - Educational Experience