Georgetown School of Foreign Service Transfer Essay

Ealgian 1 / 3  
Hi, so I'm going to Georgetown fo' sho' in the fall; currently I'm in the College but would like to transfer to the School of Foreign Service. Apparently all the spaces are filled, so this transfer essay is a just-in-case type of deal. The prompt is: Briefly discuss a current global issue, indicating why you consider it important and what you suggest should be done to deal with it.

So, here are the two ideas I have:
1. Basically my IB Extended Essay, except condensed from 4000 to 500 words. The topic was a critical analysis of the US goverment's use of private military contractors in the Iraq War.

Now, the timeframe is a little warped; most of my research was conducted in 2007, but I think it'll still work, and is better than my second idea because I'm very familiar with the subject material. My admissions officer might've already read my EE, but even if that's the case, he isn't going to be handling my transfer app from what I've seen. I also have good reasons, IMO, for solutions.

2. The current unrest in Iran. I've been reading a lot about it and have gathered some resources. The advantage I see is that it's more current than 1).

Oh, and I have to basically finish the essay today. :D There's also a letter I have to write the Admissions Committee. Suggestions as to what questions I should answer in it?
Gautama 6 / 133  
If you do number one you will need to do more research on 2008-09. I would suggest doing number two, though, if you think you can pull it off. The protests in Iran are a huge piece of news right now and you can easily talk about the historical signifigance this has for Iran and how technology is revolutionizing the way people are able to resist oppressive regimes. That seems more interesting.

However, if this essay must be done today and you don't really have much time to research I guess you would have to do number one. You will, of course, have to do more research for that anyway. If you have the time I would do number two. Whip up an outline or rough draft and post it asap!

PS. What is the letter for the admissions committee supposed to be about?
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I'd say go with number 1 and expend your time editing it down rather than doing new research. What they want to see is a sample of your research and analytical thinking skills. Back-date the essay to when it was current or just include a note stating that this was your assessment as of the date you wrote it. Or, if you can do a little research, just add a coda of a single paragraph summarizing events since you wrote the essay.
Actually, I'd suggest going with option 2, mostly because you will probably find it harder to cut a 4000 word paper down to 500 words than you will to write up a new paper. Believe me, it can take much less time to write something new that to try to edit something that wasn't really meant for your purpose so that it fits your new criteria.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
The more I think about it, the more I come down on the side of: Either. Whichever you feel most competent to address. This is a highly competitive program, from what I understand about it, and they are looking most especially for sophisticated thinking about complex topics as well as a good grounding in international affairs. Write from your strength, knowing that either of these topics is fine.
OP Ealgian 1 / 3  
Thanks so much for all your responses and opinions! I really appreciate it and feel so thankful to have stumbled across this website. I'm going to go with #1 because I'm more familiar with it and it's too difficult at this point, I believe, to devise a "solution" for #2 (which is half of the prompt, right?)

I turned my essay into a PowerPoint presentation some time back so I think I already have an outline ready-to-go, and there were a few things in the essay that I researched at the beginning of this year (I also talked about Afghanistan and the new administration) so I think that will help...
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I'm glad you feel confident about this. Good luck!
OP Ealgian 1 / 3  
Thanks! I have like 150 words. Eeek. So time's ticking away, and I have a question about essay titles. My original title doesn't quite fit the prompt, so for this one I was thinking

The Privatization of Power: The Ominous Evolution of Private Military Companies in Iraq

Is it (and I'm mostly referring to "Ominous") too much? "Ominous" refers to how currently unresolved issues will affect Afghanistan; "Evolution" refers to the continuing development of modern PMCs. Opinions, please?
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Try finding some synonyms for ominous that might say more precisely what you mean.

Also think twice about using the same word (or a variant thereof) twice in a title: Privatization, Private.
I like the title. I'm a big fan of the Main Title: Expanded Description structure you use, and heartily approve of your alliteration near the beginning. "Ominous" works if your essay argues that the corporations in question are likely to act in ways that are clearly going to lead to a negative result for Iraq. If your essay is going to argue something else, or is just about the privatization of power in general, then you should take Simone's advice and find a more specific word.
OP Ealgian 1 / 3  
Thanks again, Simone and Sean! :)

Home / Undergraduate / Georgetown School of Foreign Service Transfer Essay