Why Georgia Tech? As a student who values hard work and ingenuity, challenges don't frighten me.

TDavenport 1 / 1  
Beyond rankings, location, and athletics, why are you interested in attending Georgia Tech?(150 max)

As a student who values hard work and ingenuity, challenges don't frighten me; They excite me. More so than anything else I could derive from my college experience I want to be challenged, and I believe that Georgia Tech can provide this challenge. Through both "Flipped Classroom" and "Problem Based Learning", Georgia Tech can provide me with a nurturing yet demanding college environment in which I will not only survive but also thrive.

As well as my my enthusiasm for being Challenged, Georgia Tech can also facilitate my passion for engineering. Georgia Tech's widely acclaimed Chemical Engineering Program is precisely the kind of engineering program that piques my interest. With organizations such as Tau Beta Pi and the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, a college experience at Georgia Tech is my ideal college experience.

Thanks for any input you guys can give!
Tate, your response is right on track for a simple statement. It really covers the important points from the social, to the academic side of GT that interests you. It is a very concise plan that seems to cover all of the bases. At first glance, the short essay is perfect and does not seem to warrant any revisions or additions. Most specially since it is well within the required word count. Yet somehow, I felt like there was a part that needed to be expanded upon, since you can afford to add it to the essay that is.

With regards to your interest in the Chemical Engineering Program of GT, I think that you can still add some information that will be beneficial to your application in that part. You said that the program piques your interest. As such, I am sure that the university offers either competitions or immersion experiences that will help you better hone yourself as a future Chemical Engineer. Why don't you specifically mention some program or competition in relation to that major that you are looking forward to joining?

With these statements, the reviewer wants to know that you actually did your homework regarding the university. He wants you to prove that you are worthy of becoming a student by familiarizing yourself with the academic and social offerings of the university. So, this response could really still be improved by the simple addition of a sentence that will prove that you have researched and are committed to the major that you have chosen. Try to reflect that as best as you can with the remaining word count.

I would not want you to delete or omit anything in the statement that you already wrote. It is a very good statement as it is. We just need to make it even better :-) Let us know if you have a problem doing that. We are here to help :-)
TheJainMan 2 / 4 1  
I agree with the previous comment about content, but there are some things about the diction and grammar itself I would like to highlight.

First of all, you use the phrase "college experience" three times, with the last sentence having it essentially twice in a row. Also use "can provide" in back to back sentences. Use some varied diction to keep your answer interesting

This is one is up to debate, but I would refrain from using "I believe." You lack confidence in your essay when you use believe or can.

"not only survive but also thrive" --> I understand what your saying here, but the word survive lacks flavor or meaning. It could be argued that it doesn't even make sense in this sentence
OP TDavenport 1 / 1  
Thanks for your help guys, both posts had great advice.

Home / Undergraduate / Why Georgia Tech? As a student who values hard work and ingenuity, challenges don't frighten me.