'Getting an artistic pattern' - CommonApp Elaborate on an Extracurricular

Eigenvector 4 / 11  
Conducting is an astonishingly deceptive action. It looks like it should be so simple, just waving your hands around in a specific pattern, but once you start trying to conduct, it quickly becomes apparent how many minute details are involved in getting an artistic and readable pattern. It is an incredible blend of muscle tension and looseness that takes hours of practice time alone in front of a mirror or video recorder to master. It pays off in the end though, in those 8 minutes from the time you hear the traditional question , "Drum Majors Xander Miller and Daney Glover, is your band ready?" over the stadium loudspeaker to the last triumphant cutoff as the crowd behind you erupts in applause and cheers. It is the hours of practicing the details, the minutiae of finger position, the angle of the wrist, all the hard work that makes those moments so phenomenal and remind me that all the hard work pays off.

922/1000

Thanks!
AbhaJ19 6 / 12  
It sounds great!!!
When I read it, I felt like I was actually watching it.
But what exactly is "minutiae"?
ThelionN 1 / 5  
Some sentences are too long. Instead of using so many comas try dividing them.

"It looks like it should be so simple, just waving your hands around in a specific pattern, but once you start trying to conduct, it quickly becomes apparent how many minute details are involved in getting an artistic and readable pattern." - It looks like it should be so simple.J ust waving your hands around in a specific pattern, but once you start trying to conduct, it quickly becomes apparent how many minor details are involved in getting an artistic and readable pattern.
OP Eigenvector 4 / 11  
Awesome, thank you. Minutiae is some very small aspect of something, think a microscopic detail.

Revised Version:

Conducting is an astonishingly deceptive action. It looks like it should be so simple, just waving your hands around in a specific pattern. Once you start trying to conduct, it quickly becomes apparent how many tiny details are involved in getting an artistic and readable pattern. It is an incredible blend of muscle tension and looseness that takes hours of practice time alone in front of a mirror or video recorder to master. It pays off in the end though, in those 8 minutes from the time you hear the traditional question , "Drum Majors Xander Miller and Daney Glover, is your band ready?" over the stadium loudspeaker to the last triumphant cutoff as the crowd behind you erupts in applause and cheers. It is the hours of practicing the details, the minutiae of finger position, the angle of the wrist, all the hard work that makes those moments so phenomenal and remind me that all the hard work pays off.
ZhoeK 5 / 173  
Xander

You have a really good and pretty unique extracurricular essay going on here. Just one thing. Colleges want to know what you bring to the table so maybe you could incorporate how conducting affects you on more than an internal scale.

Hope this helps! If you wouldn't mind could you take a look at my common app. essay. Thanks!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Getting an artistic pattern' - CommonApp Elaborate on an Extracurricular