Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

getting a part-time job - U of I admission essay

MiZZL3L3 2 / 1  
Please proofread and critique. You can be brutally honest with me because I want this to be perfect. Feel free to add or change anything!

The Essay Question:
In 300 words or less, choose a extracurricular activity, work experience or community service and explain why you chose it, why you continued with it, and how you benefited from it.

As I entered my junior year of high school, I knew it was time for me to take that extra step to getting a part-time job. At the age of 15, it was hard asking parents for things you wanted versus things you needed. By getting a part-time job, it prevented the constant rejection. With a job, I could provide for myself, when and how ever I desired.

When I began working, it felt good to receive a pay check every two weeks and to know that I had actually earned the money myself made it all the better. But even though it was rewarding, it definitely was not easy. I had to overcome the temptations to spend my money on things like the newest designer clothes, but instead save and invest it. In a way, my job taught me how to budget my money among other things. I learned people skills as well as time management skills and how to prioritize.

By being in high school, I had homework and there were extra-curricular activities that I participated in, as well as my many friends who enjoyed hanging out. So I had to learn to manage my time between my academic school life, my social life, and my work life. Not to mention I had to prioritize because many times things tended to overlap, which meant I had to chose which was more important. Which leads me to my next developed skill of planning, in order to prevent events from overlapping. No longer could I just do something at the spur of the moment. With my busy life, a planner became my best friend. But that was fine because working, for me, not only gave me a paycheck and greater independence, but it gave me magnificent skills I will carry with me throughout my life.

Thanks,
Ashley

P.S. Please no copying guys. Cheaters never prosper...LoL.

Home / Undergraduate / getting a part-time job - U of I admission essay