A girl interested in Computer Science?! - NYU Supplement #4

dorkiilove 2 / 3  
Please tell us what led you to select your anticipated academic program and/or NYU school/college, and what interests you most about your intended discipline.

My main interest lies in Computer Science, a subject that many would be shocked to hear coming out of a girl's mouth.My passion for this subject first started as a participant of the FIRST Lego League. It was during this time that my interest for Computer Science grew, as we had to program and build robots to do tasks.Although many had low expectations of us, we surpassed their expectations by taking state championship. It was because of this, that I found something I loved and was happy doing.

--
:x Anyone have any input?
kldini 12 / 62  
GOOD!
But I would like to hear more about why it interests you? Why you love it?

Hope I helped!
Read mines-
Bowdoin Supplemental essay...
FPU and Pepperdine...
OP dorkiilove 2 / 3  
Erm, I'm not sure I can expand though.
I used up all of my 500 word count.
Or what should I cut?
ace 5 / 66 5  
Straight to the point...love the first line!!
but after that you are not ansering what interests you MOST about it...maybe you could write about your experience in making the robot and a particular thing that got you hooked ( I love how you overcame peoples' expectations of you)

Are you also limited to a certain number of words or characters?
I hope i havent confussed you! good luck!
Mustafa1991 8 / 373 4  
You need to summarize "computer science" and why it appeals to you.
OP dorkiilove 2 / 3  
I'm limited to 500 words.
@Mustafa, should I just scratch the whole thing and rewrite?
many would be shocked to hear coming out of a girl's mouth.

I don't know... I don't know if it is god to actually say this. If the reader is here in the 21st century with us, s/he knows women are capable scientists and IT professionals... maybe some readers will be impressed by your interest in computer science, if they share this idea that it is rare for girls to be in this profession, but maybe you don't have to actually point out the idea.

I think you hae to base your interest in CS on something more than just the lego award and the robotics competition. Write about why CS work is what seems meaningful to you as a professional in the 21st century. Mention some intellectual interests you have, areas of the field you would like to master.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / A girl interested in Computer Science?! - NYU Supplement #4