Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"do not ever give up and be strong in the new world", UF admission essay, help

deep5166 1 / -  
In the space provided, please write a concise narrative in which you describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your ideas about student responsibility, academic integrity, campus citizenship or a call to service.

As the streaking bullets of tears rushed down my face, I sadly watched my mom's face glide down by my ear and gently whisper "do not ever give up and be strong in the new world". I was about to say goodbye to my parents for good two years of my life, which were going to be spent living in India with my aunt and uncle and adapting to a complete new world which I never seen before. Stepping off the plane I saw the wide open smile on my aunt's face as she expected one to be on mine also, but instead was just a gloomy sad frown. Riding in a bus instead of a car, living in a house that was about half the size of my home in America, and no air condition to cool off my body, I was having doubts about the new adaption and on the merge of giving up so soon.

In about a week or so after moving to India, my first day of school started off by me meeting strangers and hearing a language I couldn't keep up with. As I walked into my new classroom and sat down on the wooden desk, faces instantly stared at me as if I was an alien. Likewise, at UF I will be faced with an unknown environment just as same but I would be quick to adapt to the modern Gator Nation atmosphere.

During the school day, the teacher called on me to make a quick presentation about my life. I told my peers my life so far as been similar to riding a fifty foot water slide, as I make my way down I am constantly accomplishing a goal that I set in my life to fulfill. Giving the students a brief summary about how I had to believe in myself to make the journey to come to India, and how never giving up made me realize how words can actually motivate a person to change even though it required struggle to learn the language, navigate my way around town, and going from traditional American food to Indian dishes that had a complete new taste.

Throughout the school year I learned that adapting to a new culture is like learning a new sport. To succeed this goal is by learning the basics and rules for the game. Even though moving to India was a life changing experience, I only wonder how adapting to UF culture would be no more different. Living in India made me experience my own life which I went around town on my own learning new culture that I never heard before. Taking this experience to UF will benefit me by my maturity on living on my own and the responsibilities I have to accomplish to take care of myself. With the confidence and motivation instilled in my mind, I will show UF how I am willing to be part of the great Gator Nation, where "failure is not an option".

Home / Undergraduate / "do not ever give up and be strong in the new world", UF admission essay, help