GKS undergraduate - personal statement, graphic design field

FatimaGar 1 / -  

personal statement essay

-Motivations with which you apply for this program
- Family and Education background
- Significant experiences you have had; risks you have taken and achievements you have made, persons or events that have had a significant influence on you

- Extracurricular activities such as club activities, community service activities or work experiences
- If applicable, describe awards you have received, publications you have made, or skills you have acquired, etc.
I would like some feedback since I'm currently stuck and I don't know what else to add, thank you

As a kid, I was a visual and creative person, my friends would make up stories of their lives with their dolls while I was into creating and drawing the dolls myself in whatever material I could use. If I had an idea, I would not rest until I got it done, even if that implied ruining one of my mom's favorite magazines. In school projects, I got myself through the actual work through the excitement of the designing part of it. Pairing eye-catching fonts for a written assignment, cutting out interesting pictures from magazines for a poster - you name it if it needed something visually appealing, I worked hard on it. Over time, I realized I really found joy in creating and designing.

After it became clear to me that I wanted to study graphic design, I started noticing how it was present in the media I consume, and the one which stood out the most was Korean entertainment media. From the posters of my favorite K-dramas to the logos of my favorite K-pop groups, all of it was extremely visually appealing to me, hence why it got me delving deeper into South Korea's design scene. I was amazed at how evident it was that Korea is a place that infused carefully crafted design with day-to-day living and popular culture. Thus, my interest in Korea was born.

I started taking every opportunity to interact with Korean culture, as I could not afford to travel to Korea I figured I could interact with Korean culture within my country. I took every opportunity to do so, from conversing with the owner of our local Korean restaurant to watching the Korean news channel during my free time. Furthermore, I also started getting inspiration from Korean graphic designers, and I followed many trends present in Korean design and implemented them into my own projects. I became entirely infused by Korean culture.

As I further learned about the country, I learned that Korea has a cultural economy with global popularity, achieved through prestigious digital marketing, an area where graphic design is heavily present, making it a perfect candidate to study graphic design. Korea is a role model for countries like mine that lack resources to boost the advertisement for the entertainment industry and other cultural aspects, thus, my goal of studying in Korea was born. I know that by studying in there, I will be able to transfer my knowledge back to my country, and the skills and techniques I will have acquired within a Korean cultural context will be invaluable.

I went through the curriculum Korean universities offer for a design career, they far exceeded the standard for quality education in my country, and the distinguished faculty members also impressed me. Through the GKS program, I will be able to have access to high-quality education that otherwise I would not be able to afford. By having financial support, the economic factor will no longer burden my education. For this reason. I am positive I will be able to complete my undergraduate studies with no difficulties and with a can-do spirit.
The essay only covers the motivational aspect of your course of interest. It goes on to explaining how Korea played or plays a continuing part of developing that interest. These are good aspects to cover but it should not comprise the total response. Review the required discussion topics. This essay misses out on responding to 98% of the needed information. The over enthusiasm to connect Korea to the interests you have took full focus to the detriment of the other far more important requirements. This cannot be used for the application. A new essay that focuses evenly on all information requirements must take its place. Balance the motivation aspect with all others.

Home / Undergraduate / GKS undergraduate - personal statement, graphic design field