GKS Personal Statement-Korean Language and Literature Major

ayutian 1 / 2  
PLEASE DON'T COPY ANYTHING FROM MY ESSAY

undergraduate scholarship essay

"You should've better education, at least, than me." said my mom when I'm still in the middle school. I didn't come from a privileged family. My mom and dad are just a vocational high school graduate, but my parents always want their children to receive higher education than them. This is what motivates me to study hard and become a successful person to raise my family dignity. Until one day, the unwanted worst scenario in my life came. I didn't even think a day like this would come. My dad passed away a few days after my national exam back when I'm a 3rd year middle school. Living a life without a father figure and as a first daughter give me a lot of burden. However, life must go on. This didn't stop me to pursue the further education, this even made me more want. I racked my brain how to get a highest education but I don't want to bother my mom for the bills. After surfing in the internet about undergraduate scholarship, I found GKS. Because I think GKS qualification really suits me well.

Since the Elementary School I always got good grades in every language subjects. One day I just try to read some of the Korean words, and I've just realized that it makes me happy to be able to read words from another language when other people can't. Moreover, Korea has its own alphabet. And little did I know, that all the vowels were made from three characters that represent Heaven, Earth, and Man. So, I'm just naturally became interested in Korean Language. Since then, I've been learnt Korean Language for almost 3 years, by myself. To enrich my vocabulary and know how to pronounce the words, I also watched so many varieties show. What makes me more interested in Korean Language is the book that The Great King Sejong made, "Hunminjeongum", which mean "Correct Sounds to Educate People". From the title itself has shown the meaning or benefits what we get from learning Korean Language.

The Educational System in Korea is very good and effective, so I look forward to be able to learn the language I'm interested in the country itself. Studying Korean Language in the country itself will be more beneficial for me to learn fast. Environmental support and being able to practice the language every day is an aspect that can help me learn Korean faster with the best outcome.

Take a part of marching band from elementary school until middle school makes me become a discipline person, a person who have good teamwork, and a good leadership. In this extracurricular I learnt a lot of things. I was once in charge to be a leader in one of the divisions in marching band. It was difficult to lead so many people, and they all are have a different personality. But it was a good experience for me. Because of that I became a wiseful person and a careful person because I must be responsible of what I did. Spent thousands of hours with people who share the same goals makes me became a person who never gives up too. I went to so many marching band competitions, from city level until a national level. Of course, win or lose is a normal thing, but when we lose, it's made us more determined to be a winner. My coach always said "Nothing impossible." And yes, my team was invited to the National Palace after winning in a Presidential Cup competition. Our team was able to perform in front of many ministers from abroad and witnessed by all Indonesian people. And I believe that there's no efforts betray its result.

In addition, as for my Korean Language Skills I have done King Sejong Institute Online Korean test and got level 3A with listening score 95 and reading score 100. Six months later, I got 4A for King Sejong Institute Online test for the intermediate level. I've also done a course in Coursera entitled First Step Korean Language with grade 100% for all the quiz and A Bridge to The World:Korean Language for Intermediate1 course with grade 100% too.

After completing my Bachelor Degree, I would love to share the knowledge I have gained. I've always wanted to be a teacher. Because I believe a knowledge will continue to flow from one person to another, it won't stop. And a knowledge will remain forever. With my academic, skills, and extracurricular experience I hope GKS program will help me to one step closer towards my dream and makes my dream come true.
A desire to learn Hangul in Korea is not a very good reason to apply for the scholarship. In fact, it is the worst reason to apply for studies in Korea because, as far as languages go, there are internationally based language training centers that can accomplish that task. The same goes for the literature. The applicant does not present any compelling motivations for the application to move forward. It is weak and too idealistic. It is not based on a realistic career expectation after completing the U course. The application itself is too weak and does not have enough merit to be considered for a scholarship consideration. Teaching is a country specific occupation that requires localized training based on the educational needs and expectations of a specific country. A U course in education is always locally based, it is the M course and other advanced educational teaching skills that warrant overseas studies. This application is not strong enough to get past the consideration round.

Home / Undergraduate / GKS Personal Statement-Korean Language and Literature Major