(Global Environmental Change and Sustainability) Johns Hopkins major

michelleexuu 1 / -  

Geography and Environment

I squirm in my seat as I finally get to the last question on the AP Environmental Science unit test.

#29. Explain the potential impacts of genetically modified organisms on the physical environment.

Genetically modified organisms? GMOs? I can't help but think back to last year's Human Geography class - studying those power points about global agricultural practices and watching that video about rioting tree-huggers with their catchy rhymes that called for environmental change. "Hey hey! Ho ho! We don't want no GMOs! Hey hey! Ho ho! GMOs have got to go! Hey hey! Ho ho..."

Come on, focus. I shake my head to clear my mind of those irrelevant hippie environmentalists, messily scrawl my response onto the paper, and set my test on top of the pile with finality, feeling relieved and accomplished at the same time. Environmental science was a breeze so far. I'd already learned so much about the environment, without even realizing it, in Human Geo, in freshman Biology, and even in AP Government. It was no wonder Mr. Colmenares proudly called environmental science an "interdisciplinary study." The science of the environment permeated throughout the whole of society. It caused hippie riots around the world. It aroused disputes between government policy-makers over issues like conservation and anthropological global warming and greenhouse gases. In the economy, in politics, in the cultural landscape, in the society shaped by human values - the environment presented itself everywhere. I could no longer ignore the implications of environmental change for the worse in our rapidly modernizing world. The environment sustained everything we did. So why couldn't we sustain the environment?

(my intended major is Global Environmental Change and Sustainability)
Any critique? I don't think it explains my personal interest in environmental study well enough..Thanks!
akharper2868 2 / 5  
"I shake my head to clear my mind of those irrelevant hippie environmentalists, messily scrawl my response onto the paper, and set my test on top of the pile with finality, feeling relieved and accomplished at the same time."

This is a run on. Adding some periods and transitional words would help.
It'd be better if you added a little more passion to the essay as a whole. Why do you cares so much? What is it about this topic that really gets your blood running?

Other than that you used a great example to prove your point.

Lots of luck with John Hopkins! It's a great school.

Home / Undergraduate / (Global Environmental Change and Sustainability) Johns Hopkins major