"global issues and international relations" + "the face of Big Brother" - USC

lizziezhou 6 / 16  
Describe your academic interests and how you plan to pursue them at USC.

Ever since my family had a TV, I have been a loyal friend of global issues and international relations (IR). With no exception, my parents watched news every meal we ate together. For 12 years, remarks of social critics and reporters have shaped my thinking pattern. I enjoy discussing with my mother the undertone of diplomats' words, a past-time my peers can never appreciate any fun about. Often do I take up the role of a foreteller, analyzing obscure connections among various actions to discover insidious goals. It is never arbitrary to conclude that listening and processing information about the globe is the very way I live. Yet, a real global citizen never shut him/her at home because the world is out there waiting to be explored. Thanks to my mother's sponsorship, I travel to many more countries than my peers do. Through journeys and summer camps, I become a questioner and thinker, and at the same time, I started to realize that the enthusiasm to indulge myself in the global issues and IR prompted me to take things seriously: not just travel and search for fun but study and examine them.

USC is a paradise for students who wish to explore facts about the world. As I first realized that USC has the most overseas students, I could not help imaging that interactions with global friends would be very important yet exclusive lessons that I might seldom learned so broadly in other universities. Also, USC's summer study in Geneva perfectly matched my future goal of being a senior consultant in an NGO. Furthermore, I plan to declare double majors with Economics. IR and Economics, I am sure, will together aid me in making contributions to the development of third world countries.

If there is any information you believe is relevant to our
consideration of you as an applicant that is not already contained
in your application, feel free to explain on an additional sheet.

I am a person who loves to connect different things. Once the image of an object is saved on my mind, an impulse in me will encourage comparison between the already-saved items and newly-encountering ones. Such situation often occurs when I create art work. I have taken untold pills all my life due to my mother's instruction, either for curing disease or for supplying nutrients. But pills, other than their normal function, can be wonderful media to express shapes and colors. Two years ago, I made 'Lisa Simpson in pill version'. I transformed her eyes, browse, necklace and dress from pure color to three-dimensional pieces, using my pills. As a matter of fact, for me art is everywhere to be found. What people create art with are not just painting brushes and paper but normal objects. Another work or mine is 'Big Brother in door version'. I was visualizing Big Brother's eyes when reading 1984. The psychological effect, in my view, was roughly the same with a cat eye's. Both of them watched people motioning, emotionlessly and unknown. I therefore began to decorate the front door of my house. Door painting was never easy since it deal with wood rather than paper. With the help from my uncle, who was an expert of indoor decoration, I finished one of my personally proudest projects in my life, that was, my door became the face of Big Brother. The central point of it was that I did change a common cat eye into Big Brother's eye ball. Many things do I resort to demonstrate in art form my idea from movies, literature and art itself. Soon after the pill work, I drew on miniature painting on a pill. Although it was not that satisfying as the scale limited my flexibility, I was thrilled to devote myself to discovering details, to creating art and to enjoying what was brought to my life. As I explore all of those aspects of life, they teach me to believe in myself and to maintain an open heart. I have been laughed for my absurd ideas, but luckily I just feel happy to do what I like. Moreover, I have been and will be looking around my life but not simply straightforward, since the more I watch, the more inspiration I gain, and the more open-minded I am.

Any critique??PLZ IT'S DUE TODAY...BIG THX!!
jeremyrlim 1 / 3  
Ever since owning a television , my parents and I have watched the news during every meal, and have become a close follower of global issues and international relations (IR).

Social critique has shaped the way I think for the past 12 years. I often am able to link obscure connections and discover the insidious goals behind various actions .

Personally, i do not think this is a strong point since all it says it that you have been strongly influenced by television and watch a lot of it. In the world of academia, this could be work against you.

It is never arbitrary to conclude that listening and processing information about the globe is the very way I live

i am not sure what this means, and would omit it.

A true global citizen never shuts him/herself at home because the world is out there waiting to be explored.

Thanks to my mother's sponsorship , I travel to many more countries than my peers do. Through overseas journeys and summer camps, I have become a questioner and thinker, . and at the same time, I started to realize that the enthusiasm to indulge myself in the global issues andAs my interest in IR grew , I felt prompted me to take things seriously [/i](how?): to not just travel and search for funfor leisure but also to study and examine them[i](what is "them"?).

Again, I dont think this is a strong point. There is little humility in it, and there is nothing particularly special about "journeys and summer camps". Was there a particular event that made you realize this? Did something inspire you?

i will work through the rest later, but i hope this reaches you in time.
jeremyrlim 1 / 3  
Since apparently i cannot edit my old post, here are is the rest of the essay critique:

USC is a paradise for students who wish to explore facts about the world. As I first realized that USC has the most overseas students, I cannot help but imagine all the potential thatinteractions i could have with global friendsfriends I could make around the world.

would be very important yet exclusive lessons that I might seldom learned so broadly in other universities. (i am sorry, i do not know how to edit this since i do not know what it means)

Also, USC's summer study in Geneva perfectly matcheds with my future goal of being a senior consultant in an NGO. Furthermore, I plan to declare double majors with Economics. IR and Economics, I am sure, will together aid me in making contributions to the development of third world countries. Other academic interests include Economics, and I hope that with an IR and Economics double major I will be able to make positive contributions to the development of third world countries.
OP lizziezhou 6 / 16  
Thank you Jeremy!I made some changes...and your advice really helps!!!

Home / Undergraduate / "global issues and international relations" + "the face of Big Brother" - USC