How much my global perspective may be influenced by being a part of Semester at Sea community?

taylorl 1 / -  

How will your Semester at Sea voyage create (or enhance) your personal global perspective?

Highlight your discussion by referencing at least one country on your itinerary and by explaining how your time there will further develop your awareness.

As someone that comes from a family who travels often, I have always been one for an adventure. I have an undying passion for traveling and learning about different places around the world. I have traveled around North America, and parts of Europe, but I would like to broaden my perspective of the world and travel and learn about more countries. One of my favorite things about traveling is that there is always something you can learn about a new place. Semester at Sea would be one of the best opportunities to do so. Living and learning around the world would give me a better understanding about it and what it holds, rather than in the typical college classroom learning through books and a screen. This voyage with Semester at Sea will enhance my global perspective by giving me the hands-on experience in other various countries that I would carry with me for the rest of my life.

During my time in this world, I want to experience as much of it as possible. By embarking on Semester at Sea, it will help push my world traveling journey. One country in particular that i am really interesting in traveling to is Japan. For years I have been watching videos of people who travel around the world and experience these different countries, people, and cultures. The one country I have seen them go to that striked my interest the most is Japan. The Japanese people, language, art, and food is something I have never really gotten to experience here.

For me, traveling doubles as a creative outlet as well as just a hobby. It brings out a whole new perspective to things, like how much other countries can differ from mine. Photojournalism and communication arts is something that I am interesting in getting into and with this study abroad program I believe I will get a start in moving forward with that. I like to document my travels using photos and videos so I can look back at them any time, and use them as encouragement to travel more. But getting the opportunity to travel to all of these countries would help expand my knowledge on different cultures that i do not get to experience at home.
assassinogurl 2 / 5 3  
It seems too general as it is right now. Many people apply to the program with the same intentions and dreams in their minds, you need to specify your reasons by showing in what ways this program is beneficial for you. I suggest you get rid of the parts that are too general, such as the part where you mentioned why Japan strikes your interest the most, and relate your reasons to your studies, work, etc. Good luck with your application!
Taylor, there are two ways that you can take this essay draft. The first way, is to focus on Japan and how a stop there, for even a few days, or even a weekend, will be able to help broaden your global perspective regarding that country and its diplomatic relationship with the rest of the world. Or, you can remove the reference to Japan so that you can create a general discussion instead.

The way I read this essay, it is strong in the way that you portray your strength as a candidate, but you are weak in a true explanation regarding how you be influenced by the global perspective. The lack of a strong global perspective is coming from a lack of academic goal, in relation to international diplomatic relationships. What enticed you to apply for admission to a Semester at Sea should portray who you are today, how you see the world as of now, and how how you hope to learn more through your participation in the program.

Define what your current global perspective is and how you hope to change that by experiencing the world first hand, in a manner different from the travel you had with your parents. Why do you think the improved global perspective will make you a better person? How will you use this learning to improve your relationship with your schoolmates on the ship, and your other relationships once you go back home? Describe how you hope to use this global perspective to mature as an individual over one semester.

Home / Undergraduate / How much my global perspective may be influenced by being a part of Semester at Sea community?