Personal Goal Statement - Columbia College MBA Application

kmstring 1 / -  
I'm looking to get some of advice on how to start and structure a personal goal statement for my Grad school application to Columbia College. I need to limit it to one page. Any pointers to help get me started would be great, and them maybe some help making revisions before I submit a final draft would be very helpful!

Thanks,

Kevin
bellaboo 1 / 2  
a best tip would be to just skip a long intro and firmly but directly get to the main idea of what you are saying in order to keep it on one page.
Hi Kevin, I noticed that many students have no plan. Actually, many adults have no plan! The big difference between one student and another comes from whether she or he has a clearly envisioned plan. If your plan is to "get a masters degree and become employed as a counselor in an addiction recovery program," that is admirable, but it is not as admirable as if someone says: "I know someone whose life was recently turned around when addiction counselors gave her the necessary confidence and encouragement to overcome her dependence on heroin. I want to continue my research about the most effective addiction interventions for various groups and make a meaningful contribution to the field of psychology, specializing in cognitive therapy. I recently read about REBT, an innovation by Ellis (2003), and it made me want to combine addiction interventions with the techniques expounded by Ellis. I know that many creative and brilliant people suffer from addiction, and my best contribution to society can be made by attending to their needs so that they can, in turn, make meaningful contributions and function optimally.

This is just something I thought of randomly, but do you see what I mean? Before you begin, you should really develop your vision for the future. It will change, but right now you can expound a detailed plan. That is the way to prove that you are "driven" and passionate about your field.

Home / Undergraduate / Personal Goal Statement - Columbia College MBA Application