Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"My goals are set high" - FSU Admissions Essay-Mores, Artes, Vires

2011Grad 1 / 4  
The Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

I believe that a good moral character is a needed attribute to succeed in life. Anyone can wish for such an attitude, but it can only be attained through positive energy. My character, I believe, is well communicated and felt simply by my presence. People with modest values and morals are easily detected to which, I feel, I show. I try to exemplify my good character through conversations with others and the way I carry myself.

All families have different morals and values that they teach their children. My family has taught me to be respectful of others, give your time, talent, or treasure to those in need, and to love one another. This may seem basic and accepted by society already, but they have been instilled in me since I've been born. Everyone can say they have these same values, but do not show them on a daily basis. I try to show gratefulness and kindness because so few people actually display their appreciation. I have always stood by my motto which is live, laugh, and love. As cliché as it is, I am speaking the truth when I say that I try to live by it everyday.

Intellectually, I have always stayed committed to my grades and never letting my GPA fall below a 3.7. I have been challenged in my courses over the past four years with honors classes as well as AP classes that are much harder than they appear. I have been in the National Honors Society every year in high school as well as Spanish Honors Society the past two years. This year is the first year I have been on the Green Team which has opened my eyes to a world of recycling and reusing. It is much more apparent to me now of what I should have done in my high school years, but I can only move forward now and make the best of it.

I volunteer each summer at my churches bible camp. I absolutely love working with children. Their minds are always thinking and creating. They can be so insightful and endearing. It is so rewarding and nice to have been looked up to, not just literally, but because you are older and supposedly wiser. I believe that volunteering shows how your personality is because you will choose something that you find rewarding or interesting.

Traditionally, in my family you go to college after you graduate high school. College was a given for everyone. I was always on the path to doing well in school to reach that goal, but never reflected on why I wanted to go to college myself. Why did I want to go to college? I have now answered that question. I want to make a life for myself and not rely on my parents for everything like I have for the past seventeen years. I need to show that I am capable of accomplishing something huge and rewarding. Doing what I love to do is definitely in my future if I focus on my attainable goal of college. I want to do this for myself and for no one else. Not to make my parents happy, but to show myself and my younger siblings that setting a goal is necessary to accomplish anything. I think that is what everyone applying to college should say is that they are doing this for themselves.

My goals are set high, but they are definitely attainable in my future. Mores and Vires are represented in my life day to day as I have described.

I need feedback of what I need or what has to be changed. Tell me what you think. Anything constructive would be helpful. What should I take out because its too long 619 words.

Home / Undergraduate / "My goals are set high" - FSU Admissions Essay-Mores, Artes, Vires