Going to a public school - uf essay

ccw_20 3 / 1  
Describe a meaningful event, experience or accomplishment in your life and how it will affect your college experience or your contribution to the UF campus community. You may want to reflect on your family, your school or community activities, or your involvement in areas outside of school.

The day I decided to go to public high school, was a day that would change my life forever. I was about to embark on an experience that would help me develop as a person and learn more about the world and the people who live in it. As a homeschooled kid I had been sheltered from much of the secular life and had much to learn. My experience at Jensen Beach High School had a profound impact on my life and I grew immensely as a person and as a student during the time I spent there, however, I find that one of my most significant experiences was before I went to public school.

Being homeschooled was the best opportunity I have ever been graced to have experienced. When I was homeschooled, I had more time and opportunities than most kids to become dedicated and involved in a wide range of activities; gymnastics, girl scouts, cheerleading, soccer, softball, church, swim team, and competitive dance. These opportunities taught me many things about people, how to get along with them, work with them, befriend them, help them, and understand them. I was encouraged to converse with adults and to get along with other children of all ages and this led me to meet and learn about many different types of people. These opportunities taught me to have an open mind to new ideas and cultures from an early age, which is vital to any relationship or learning experience.

Not only did homeschooling provide me with more time to experience a wider range of activities that opened many doors for me, but it has also provided me with a strong sense of self and confidence in my beliefs. I had the security of my family around me 24-7 to support and help mold me into the person I am today, without the influence of peer pressure to divert me. The morals and lessons my family instilled in me have made me confident and able to stand up for my beliefs. Anytime I had a problem my family was there for me, with just the right advice on how to handle the situation. My family has taught me to have humility, gratitude, integrity, respect, compassion, and responsibility in all the things that I do. These are the characteristics I have observed and they are the same ones that I admire in them and aspire to achieve everyday of my life. The early years of life are critical to molding a person into whom they will become later on in life and I had the people who loved me the most molding and shaping me, rather than other middle school kids and peer pressure. They have my best interests at heart and have provided me with the characteristics and tools that are most important to being successful in life and college.

The things I learned from homeschooling, have proven to be valuable and effective in my transition into a public high school. I successfully transitioned into the public school environment, taking on harder classes, making friends, demonstrating responsibility, joining clubs, maintaining and developing new and old friendships, and continuing to mature and grow as a person. College is a new challenge I am looking forward to experiencing. The things I have learned over the years in my transition to public school and the values and ideals I have kept with me from homeschooling will guide and help me accomplish the academic and personal growth that comes with being an independent person. I know that my going to UF will help facilitate my academic and personal growth to its fullest potential and there is no other place I can see my growth as a person or student to be greater than it would at the University of Florida.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
"Removed; this is too much background that really doesn't have anything to do with the rest of your piece. Rework it to make it more relevant to the piece or remove it completely.

A little disorganized; I'm not sure what the event that impacted you is, or how it will influence your time on a college campus. You've got a good rough draft, but work on focusing it a bit more.

Home / Undergraduate / Going to a public school - uf essay