'not gone to Stern' - NYU Admission

nair 7 / 21 3  
"You're applying to NYU? Are you sure you're capable enough to even enter the school? It's a good thing you dream big, but be careful when you're torn apart." The comments I usually hear when I let people know about my rather far fetched goal. Their expression was merely unbelievable to their words when I respond.

" I'm not someone who will sit down and cry because I think I don't have a chance to be where I want to be. I am that someone who knows what she wants in life and will work hard until she gets it. I am definitely not someone who breaks down easily but the exact opposite."

That's it. Literally speechless. And the slow, awkward, walking away phase kicks in.
NYU has been my dream for as long as I can remember. But it is not because it is in New York City. It is because of Stern Business Schools. Why Stern? Sad to say that my answer is not one of the generic response you hear from a student who is trying to get in NYU. I think the name speaks it all. Stern means tough. Toughness is all about mentality. Mentality symbolizes strength, wisdom and confidence in my dictionary.

My dad once told me, nothing in the world really matters if you're not mentally prepared. You can be top in class, you can speak well and you can have the arrogance but if words bring you down, you have not succeed in life yet. That was always followed by the inclusive phrase, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words may never harm me." Going to Stern is more of achieving the person I want to be instead of the person I am. Going to Stern defines that I am able to contribute to society someday to make a difference. I intend to open my very own old folks home and orphanage to help the people in need. The smile on their faces is what I want to hold on to.

And now, I closed my photo album and took a piece of notebook. Filled with blank pages that is yet to be written with experience, adventure and excitement.

I can do lots of thing that I want to. Open up an orphanage now, make my own name, help the needy etc. But none of those would matter to me because I have not gone to college. Most importantly, I have not gone to Stern.
Jane123 1 / 3  
it's really a lot like a personal statement. this essay asks you to write something about ur academic plan. besides showing ur passion for NYU, for Stern, you should also indicate what u r good at? why business intrigued u? or what majors are u planning to take in NYU.

humble views, good luck!
NikhillRao 1 / 3  
I would change "arrogance" to "confidence." Arrogant usually has negative connotations.

Home / Undergraduate / 'not gone to Stern' - NYU Admission