Good academics / Independent person / Honor Society / Real Word (Syracuse)

StephR 4 / 14 1  
1. Who or what influenced you to apply to Syracuse University?

I am a High School Senior who unlike many of her friends doesn't honestly know what to do with the rest of their lives. While searching for colleges over the summer, I came across Syracuse. It had everything I wanted; good academics, good social scene, and an amazing campus. What stood out to me the most about Syracuse is the amount of opportunity and experiences it offers. Scholarship in Action is a fantastic mission, and I absolutely love the fact that students can actually engage in the real world before they graduate.

2. Who is the person you dream of becoming and how do you believe Syracuse University can help you achieve this?

As a child, I always dreamed of becoming a movie star or rock star, but as I grew up my dreams changed. Now I dream of becoming a successful independent person. I dream of waking up every morning and not dreading the fact that I have to go to work. I dream of having a job that actually makes me want to wake up in the morning. I believe that Syracuse can help me achieve my dreams. Syracuse offers a wide variety of majors, it offers opportunities, and more importantly it offers time for a student to explore their options and figure out what they want to do.

3. If you have had work experience, what skills and/or knowledge did you gain?

As a member of the National Honor Society I am required to have at least 20 hours of community service, one way I got these hours was helping out at a blood drive. This blood drive really opened my eyes about how much help people need, it also forced me to overcome a fear of mine. Growing up I never liked blood or going to get a shot, and having to sit there and watching people get a pint of blood sucked out of them was a disturbing idea. However, I dealt with it and I helped out for a very good cause. I believe now that even if you're scared of something or disturbed by something, you shouldn't just not do it. If it is for a good cause and helps others, you should put yourself aside and overcome your fear.

4. Our mission of Scholarship in Action, education for the world in the world, extends beyond the classroom to include engagement opportunities with our campus community, the City of Syracuse, and locations across the globe. Based on your interests, tell us what real-world experiences you might pursue during your education at Syracuse as part of this mission.

The real world is not just taking tests and getting good grades, its beginning able to communicate with others, to get out into the workforce, to enjoy life. Some real-world experiences I might pursue at Syracuse would possibly be to get internship doing something that I really love to do. I would also love to study-abroad, the opportunities alone are amazing, but the experience of studying abroad is unforgettable.
rocky432 2 / 7 1  
Hi StephR,
I really liked your essays. They were all short yet wonderful to read.

Home / Undergraduate / Good academics / Independent person / Honor Society / Real Word (Syracuse)