I have always been a good artist, well relatively; SOP for the SAIC

rainbowsweat 1 / -  
Hello! I am applying to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. I have had my portfolio approved but am required to write a statement of purpose to be considered for scholarships. Can you read this and give me some feedback? Anything is appreciated!

Assignment:
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Use your written statement as a way to better represent yourself and your work.

Writing is a very important component of being an artist. We will be looking closely at your ability to compose an essay, as well as the manner in which you utilize text as a tool. We are interested in finding out more about you, why you do what you do, and why you are a strong candidate for SAIC's undergraduate program. Please also include information about community service projects, exhibitions you have participated in, or any other activities that contribute to the making of your work.

If you are applying to the BFA with an Emphasis in Writing, your statement needs to also address how you imagine a studio arts environment will impact your writing practice.

Upload your Statement of Purpose as a PDF.

SOP:
I Sweat Rainbows.

One major defining characteristic of humanity is the way in which we interact with other entities. This interaction with one and another is a hugely significant part of our lives. In fact, relationships are not merely the essence of humanity, but the proof. One cannot exist without producing change. Who you are is seen only through what people know of you. Isn't that peculiar? People only know of you in relation to their lives. You cannot control your relationship with someone, because you absolutely cannot force someone to like you. You can, however, convey your thoughts to them through art. Art is only part of my life that I can completely control. If art is all I am in the world, I am going to be good.

I have always been a good artist, well relatively. The ability to draw comes naturally to me, so I have far exceeded my classmates' abilities. I am the best artist in my school, and for a long time, that was enough for me. It was not until my freshman year, when a piece of mine went to the local league art competition, that I was humbled. I realized that the best art in my little school was still not very good. It hit me hard that the only thing standing in my way of being exceptional was laziness. Scientist Richard Feyman said,

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with the experiment, its wrong."

It occurred to me that the great artists were just persistent. If Michealangelo spent hours drawing a figure that was disproportionate, he would erase it and keep drawing until he got it right. In order to be a good artist, I need to be able to recognize that I am wrong, and that producing magnificent art is way bigger than the frustration of accuracy.

Lots of people tell me I am too hard on myself, that this is unhealthy. I know, however, that I need to be challenged to grow as a person. I am going to make myself be better than my competition, no matter who it is. A lot of the art schools have sent me magazines with student work in them. I flip through them, and do not feel small. I can already do most of what I have seen in other schools' brochures. The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, however, leaves me awed. When I look at something alumni Georgia O'Keefe painted, it knocks all of my pride right out of me. I need to go to a school where am I so embarrassed of my art in comparison that I have to work intensely to even fit in. In such furious work, I expect to make some pretty stellar pieces. I know I will never be as good as I want, but SAIC has the resources and competition that will get me closest to who I want to be.

That being said, I do not just make art for the sake of being good. Anyone can learn to draw accurately. I understand that the true value of art lies in the conception and the process. In fact, I have came up with a diagram of intention to remind myself not to fake it. It is a four tiered pyramid. The first tier represents the art which I create for my own sanity. When my mind gets to loud, I need to use the physical act of drawing as an outlet for my thoughts and emotions. The second tier in the Pyramid of Intention represents the art that I make for influence. These pieces are either intended to evoke emotion in the viewer, or tell a story.

The third teir of the Pyramid of Intention is dedicated to art that I make for maintanence. The purpose of this tear is to maintain, whether it be my sanity, my artistic skill, or my grade. Sometimes techinical art is a chore for me, I won't pretend it's always easy. Yet other times I find that drawing without thought is just what I need. It allows me to shut of my mind and just move my fingers. Drawing is a way for me to step away from my life while still being alive. Another great thing about art without imagination is that it stifles me to a point of explosion. Its just like when I am told to go exercise, all I want to do is sleep. But if I for some reason have to stay inside and sit still, a flame of energy is ignited somewhere beneath my skin and it boils my blood. Soon I have to get out and DO SOMETHING because I'm going to explode, and my body simply cannot contain my desire. Restriction has proven to be a great way to draw my creativity to the surface.

The fourth and worst tier of the Pyramid of Intention is art that I create for my ego. I am embarrased to tell you that sometimes I draw with the sole purpose to make people thing I am good. My art suffers when I over think it. Sometimes I use my knowledge of psychology to try to force a reaction in the viewer, but it usually doesn't work. Art needs to have heart in it for it to be beautiful or true.

Truth is the only thing I know how to do. I've never been able to lie or fake it. The cliche "steal like an artist" doesn't really apply to me. I don't know how to trick people into thinking I'm something I am not. I don't rely on people's ignorance or acceptance of what they don't understand. My art can withstand inquiry and skepticism.. I want you to look, I want you to ask.

Art is an easy communication method for me because I literally think in color. I have synestesia, which is a psychological trait that causes me to automatically associate color with everything. When I see a person, their color pops into my minds eye before I can even think of their name. I have to make the effort of matching my thoughts to words. Visual art is more free, I am not required to conform to language. Everyone understands color.I do, however, use other sorts of art as means of expression. I write a lot of poetry, and have began a novel. I do not use words to tell a story, but rather to paint a picture in the reader's mind. People have suggested that I go into illustration, but that would defeat my purpose. I use color and emotion to imply a story, and I use stories to evoke the colors of emotion. As much as I love to write, visual art is my medium of choice. The wide range of possibility make it the easiest and most efficient way to convey my thoughts.

"Words do not well understand me,/ and i've not quite the voice to scream./ My Tongue holds much thoughts,/ yet my Teeth they do rot,/ for the letters ooze germs at the seams./Poems make my breath stale and yellow/ so they dwell behind Lips cracked and dry./ I could express if i wanted,/ but I haven't the tears yet to cry./ My Eyes don't have time for such business./ They've got much better things to see./ My Hands they must watch every minute,/ in case they should turn against me./ It's sad that my fingers rebel so./ They know not the role that they play./Part of my soul they must tear off/ and offer it to the world as they say,/ 'We are the fingers of sarah./ It is us who knows her the best./ For words do not pain or please her,/ she turns to us when let down by the rest.' "
nairbear68 6 / 29 6  
Isn't that peculiar?

Someone else on EF told me rhetorical questions are a no no for college app essays.

and that producing magnificent art is way bigger than the frustration of accuracy.

"way bigger" is too juvenile a phrase, try for something else

Lots of people tell me I am

same for "lots of people"

your essay goes everywhere and I am sorry but I could not get myself to finish, which means the ac will not be able to either.

try to shorten the essay and make it more to the point and interesting~

if you could, please take a look at my what matters to you essay :)

Home / Undergraduate / I have always been a good artist, well relatively; SOP for the SAIC