The "Good Will Hunting" Common App Essay- Is it a little risky?

maybeAhoya 3 / 5  
Describe a character in fiction, a historical figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc.) that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence.

The night before the start of my exam week freshman year, I stared out into the dark quiet night and pondered why the universe was punishing me with all these exams being hurled at me. To put it into much simpler means, I was procrastinating. Then, from the corner of my eyes, a DVD case of the movie "Good Will Hunting" caught my eyes. I had been curious to see that movie ever since my older brother had given it to me before I left for boarding school in Virginia. Feeling rather burnt out from studying, my roommate Joe and I both idly laid down our semi-broken couches eagerly for the story of the handsome MIT janitor to unfold. This newly-created tradition still continues today where Joe, my friends, and I come together to watch "Good Will Hunting" before ever exam week, similar to how warriors sharpen their swords before a battle.

Though I'm unable to relate to Will's intellectual gift, as many would say that I am above his intellectual prowess, the movie presents us with questions that has dragged around my mind since middle school- 'Where am I going?', 'what is my purpose?', and 'who do I live for?' Will, like everyone else on earth, is hindered by fear, expectations, and history. Though the talent one may possess might not be quite the size in magnitude that of Will's, each and every individual is blessed with dreams but are often afraid to run towards what he or she wants. Will Hunting's transformation to a purpose-driven man never seems grow old on me, Joe, and all my friends as this tradition has come to be ingrained in our lives at Episcopal.

Born in the states but quickly moving back to Korea as an infant, I have never had any experiences in authentic American culture before when my family decided to temporarily move to the U.S. as my dad took an exchange professorial job at Northwestern University. From the homogenous culture in Korea to that of heterogeneous culture in America, the change shell-shocked me at an early age of ten. As I grew older in Evanston, the prejudice and the expectations began growing on me little by little as my friends of various races turned their backs to exclusive friend groups of their own races. All through my elementary and middle school years, I was just one of two Asians in my grade. Although I still had my friends then in Evanston that are brother-like to me four years later and separated 300 miles away, I was missing a sense of self-identity. I was confused as to where I belonged. I believe that the actions of Will Hunting have taught me to believe that one's core identity is shaped by one's purpose. This movie, watched seven times so far, inspires me to keep aspiring for what I want- not the desires to fulfill what other people want of me nor the prejudice in America expects me to be.

Any suggestions or corrections on spelling, grammar, wording, and etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Yaxue1994 2 / 5  
This is a good essay. It brings out your personality very well.
Especially this sentence "I was confused as to where I belonged." This really shows your argument and although it might be a little risky, I think that it is a good essay overall. Good luck with your application!
loewilson 1 / 2  
Good ideas here, but lost of grammatical errors.

The night before the start of my exam week freshman year, I stared out into the dark quiet night and pondered why the universe was punishing mewith all these exams being hurled at me. This sounds a bit redundant.

** from the corner of my eye.
**my roommate Joe and I both idly laid down on our semi-broken couches eagerly for the story of the handsome MIT janitor to unfold.

**"Good Will Hunting" before every exam week, similar to how warriors sharpen their swords before a battle.
**us with questions that have dragged around my mind since middle school- Where am I going?, what is my purpose?, and who do I live for? --> Only use ' ' when the quote is inside a quote

**Though the talent one may possess might not be quite the same magnitude of Will's; each and every individual is blessed with dreams, but are often afraid to run towards what he or she wants.--> I would reword this. It reads funny.

**Will Hunting's transformation to a purpose-driven man never seems to grow old for me, Joe, and all my friends as this tradition has come to be ingrained in our lives at Episcopal.

**Born in the states but quickly moving back to Korea as an infant, I have never had any experiences in authentic American culture before when my family decided to temporarily move to the U.S. as my dad took an exchange professorial job at Northwestern University. --> this is a run on sentence

**groups of friends of their own race

**I have watched this movie seven times so far, and it inspires me to keep aspiring for what I want- not just the desires that others what me to fulfill, nor the prejudice in America expects me to be. ( I would take out prejudice, it leaves a bad taste in the readers mouth at the very end of the essay.)
menukagrg 7 / 98  
Your essay is very good and honest. I really like it.

Yes, the prejudice part does sound a bit harsh.

Best of luck. :)
ctchrssmnky 2 / 17  
This is a frivolous comment, but I have to agree with you about the "handsome MIT janitor" part -- we watched the movie in my Abnormal Psych class last year and all of the girls were swooning over Matt Damon's good looks!

Good essay. You've got a shot!

Home / Undergraduate / The "Good Will Hunting" Common App Essay- Is it a little risky?