"Good morning, visitors!"

zay 1 / 1  
i have to make an essay and the theme is:
are there any significant experiences that help to define you as a person?

"Good morning, visitors!" These were the first few words that I heard from the Grade 2 - Section I students of Manadalagan Elementary School the moment a few of my classmates and I entered their classroom. Being a first-time SCSP participant, I felt excited and a little nervous at the same time. SCSP, by the way, is a social activity wherein graduating high school students in my school go to public schools and teach the kids about God and His good news.

After we introduced ourselves to them, we divided the class into eight groups, giving each of us five to six students to teach. I had five girls. They did not disappoint me. All of them cooperated with me as I did my best to carry out my lesson to them. Thirty minutes was spent for class discussion and the remaining time was used to teach them a song of praise. While I was teaching them the song, I noticed Rena, one of my students, crying. Concerned, I asked her what the matter was. I was surprise by her answer, "Nadula akon pulo ka piso." [I lost my ten pesos.] It's ironic how I spend or even lose hundreds of pesos and not feel guilt, regret or sadness at all. To pacify the pitiable girl, I assured her that I would find her money after the class. We continued what we were doing and while nobody was looking, I slid two five peso coins in her bag.

It was already time for us to go. On my way to the jeep that will take us back to school, I felt someone tugging my uniform. It was Rena, now looking happy and not frowning anymore. She pulled me a little farther from my classmates so we could talk privately and said, "Manang, thank you gid! Sa dason magbalik kamo di, uli-an ta lang ka sang pulo ha." [Thank you! The next time you come visit us, I'll pay you back ten pesos.] Wow. Those words struck me. And then she ran, leaving me speechless and dumbfounded. Now that's something you don't hear from an eight year old everyday.

Ten pesos. My ten pesos meant so much to her. It made her happy. That experience wasn't just heart-melting, it was also mind-blowing. I used to question God what my purpose is. I used to think of myself as just another useless teenager not being able to help anyone in any way. Now, I have found the answer. I am not useless. I am a person ready to lend a helping hand to the needy!

THANK YOU! :)
Lesleigh101 1 / 4  
Talk a little more about the SCSP orginization and what it is that makes you so eager to educate other people about God and his word. Make it more personal by briefly talking about your beliefs.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Actually, depending on the school, that's might or might not be a good idea. If you are applying to a religious institution, by all means say more about that. If you are applying to a secular school, keep the focus as it is: on your interactions with the children.
OP zay 1 / 1  
thanks guys! your comments are much appreciated :)

umm.. i have a question.
you think my essay is already acceptable or should i add more details and stuff? *i know this essay sucks and i didn't put much work to it.* :D
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
i know this essay sucks and i didn't put much work to it

Why don't you work on it harder then?

SCSP, by the way, is a social activity wherein graduating high school students in my school go to public schools and teach the kids about God and His good news.

This unforseen sentence disturbs the flow of your introduction. Combine the definition of SCSP with your previous sentence.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
i know this essay sucks

Actually, I think it's quite strong. I wonder why you think it sucks.
tal105 7 / 130  
because were high schoolers. we ALWAYS think our work sucks. :P
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
It's more of a pride thing. If I say my work sucks even though I know it doesn't, others will believe that I can write better. This way if I write a bad essay others will still think that I can write better one. If I write a good one and say it sucks, others will think that I am a writing god.
tal105 7 / 130  
If I write a good one and say it sucks, others will think that I am a writing god

lol :D this is funny. i know for me, im like an overachiever so i always think my things are crap :(

like i got an 85 on a couple of regents (big exams to see how well u know the subjects its a NYstate exam) and i was all OMGG my grade sucks. im SO retaking. and i did.

but thats just me. its something im trying to fix b.c. its like me putting pressure on myself for no reason.

i think were all crazy high schoolers putting up with unfair pressure of SATS and stuff :(
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I wonder about gender. Starting in puberty, girls start to downplay their skills and achievements while boys tend to exaggerate theirs.Not in all instances, of course, but sufficiently reliably that it shows up in measures of self-confidence, self-efficacy, etc. For example, upon getting a good outcome on a test or paper, boys will tend to attribute their success to their own efforts or characteristics while girls will tend to attribute their success to good luck.

Home / Undergraduate / "Good morning, visitors!"