Google-fueled Intellectuality , a Questbridge essay

jayelectrolosis 7 / 18  
Describe an experience that you have had or a concept you have learned about that intellectually excites you. When answering this question, you may want to consider some of the following questions: Why does this topic excite you? How does it impact the way you or others experience the world? What questions do you continue to ponder about it?

Note: This is my first, very rough draft I just wrote. I want to improve the conclusion. It's kind of sudden, and I want to find a way to omit "in conclusion'' in favor of a better transition from paragraph to paragraph.

I just woke from a browsing-induced coma, one of the more common types in modern, technological society. Last I remember I was browsing a popular tactical soccer blog and now I'm sitting here reading about the specifics of the growth hormone therapy Lionel Messi underwent. An hour and fifteen minutes elapsed between events. Welcome to the internet. To most, it is the mecca of useless activities and the biggest cause of procrastination. In fact, certain websites even promote the homicide of time and, consequently, the slow erosion of productivity. Nevertheless, the internet is also full of useful, productive activities. Web browsing is an incredibly flexible activity; it bends to the will of the user. It's dark magic. For this, browsing induced comas can result in knowledge, introspection, and a satisfied intellectual curiosity. And this is how it is for me. In fact, the internet has become a second, personal classroom. Through articles, blogs, documentaries, and Youtube clips, I discovered the power of intellectual freedom.

I'm not exactly sure how that particular browsing session began. More than likely, though, I was watching Jon Stewart clips on Youtube. At some point, the name "George Carlin" appeared in the video suggestions on the right-hand side of my screen, accompanied by a description of the material in the clip: "Religion is bullshit." Now, at this point in my life, at around the age of 13, I was already skeptical of religion; however, it wasn't the specific topic as much as the quality of the rhetoric, and subsequently, the thinking displayed in the video, that intrigued me. Carlin immediately caught my attention with his sharp wit, critical thinking, and disdain for the status quo. Carlin was different than any comedian I had heard up to that point; he was hilarious, yet thought provoking. I kept searching for Carlin material - standup clips, DVDs, books, etc. I loved his comedy, and from his comedy I learned how to question, be skeptical, and think logically. It did not stop there, though; Carlin only served as the origin of a newfound sense of intellectuality. I went on to discover the likes of Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Stephen Hawkins, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Malcom Gladwell - the modern day intellectuals I was never exposed to through public education. My internet education has not been limited by any standards, time, or even resources; the amount of information at my disposal was infinite. It has allowed me to satisfy literally any curious thought I've had.

In conclusion, my thinking is heavily influenced by a comedian and my intellectuality is stimulated by Google. As George Carlin would say, "I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond!", a Modern Man.

Any help is appreciated, whether it be grammatical, content related, or whatever. I'll embrace and consider any criticism, too. I'll also be happy to reciprocate the favor and help you guys out with your essay if you direct me to it. Thanks!
I just woke from a browsing-induced coma, one of the more common types in modern, technological society.---I love your essay already!

Last I remember, I was browsing a popular tactical soccer blog and now I'm sitting here reading about the specifics of the growth hormone therapy Lionel Messi underwent.

In fact, certain websites even promote the homicide of time and, consequently, the slow erosion of productivity.---Ha ha!

Through articles, blogs, documentaries, and Youtube clips, I've discovered the power of intellectual freedom.

... I was already skeptical of religion; however, it wasn't the specific topic as much as the quality of the rhetoric, and subsequently, the thinking displayed in the video, that intrigued me.

Carlin was different from any comedian I had heard up to that point; he was hilarious, yet thought provoking.

...Carlin only served as the origin of a new found sense of intellectuality.

I like your essay! Also, I love George Carlin! The way you ended your essay with that quote was perfect. Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / Google-fueled Intellectuality , a Questbridge essay