How my GPA dropped - Personal statement

jooaannnx 1 / 1  
I really need help in my essay prompt topics. I've tried brainstorming but I'm scared the topics aren't good enough.
For the 2nd UC personal statement prompt, "Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?" .

I was thinking about my junior year, and how my gpa dropped the first semester because of personal hardships, but it may be too personal. But it is the only obstacle that really changed my life and I have learned so much from it.

Basically my hardship was that I went through sexual abuse.. for some time of my life. I know that some people may say that its too personal and it could cause pity, but its the most significant even that I experienced, affecting the person I am today. I dont know how to put it into words for my essay, and I would want to put it in words as discreet as possible.
Duaa_T 2 / 2  
Hello.
My mentor always told me that it is not about the story, it is about how you write about it. These words really helped a lot. I remember one essay I read a while ago that was about a student's curly hair, and it was so excellent that she got accepted in very good universities such as Tufts. Write about what you would write about best. And in my personal opinion, I say you go with the sexual abuse. Because, I don't know, but I assume it had the most effect on you. Plus, it is not a cliche or a typical story that most students write about. But most importantly, you need to deliver your story, not tell it.

I hope that helps. Good luck.
OP jooaannnx 1 / 1  
How do I deliver my story? I know that the essay should be like a personal narrative , and all I could think of is the sleep paralysis and nightmares that I get associated with it. I don't want my essay to sound like a diary of what I go through, but do I talk about my overall experience of it all or one particular event that occurred throughout the whole time?

Home / Undergraduate / How my GPA dropped - Personal statement