Gracious App - University of Wisconsin / Computer Science

whatsgoodintern 1 / -  
Hi there! I'm applying for a University of Wisconsin (UW) school for Computer Science and would love for you to review my essay! I'll be sure to give your work a look in return :) The prompt (paraphrased as to avoid people googling the prompt and plagiarizing) asks to tell them about my life occurrences, abilities, interests, and commitments I will carry with to their campus that will enhance their university, and the reason I am applying or interested in their University. The actual prompt can be found here: (change the "dotcom" to view the link) collegeapps.aboutDOTCOM/b/2012/09/09/the-university-of-wisconsin- personal-statement.htm

Thank you for any help!

Upon the completion of my 3rd grade writing assignment, I went to the internet for entertainment. Pshhhkkkkkkrrrrkakingkakingkakingtshchchchchchchchcch*ding*ding*d ing* the modem hauntingly played. At nine years old, I grew agitated quickly and slammed the keyboard, which my father noticed. It was then that he thought of a great idea. He decided to introduce me to programming. Instead of waiting painfully for modems to connect, I was taught how to construct an old game called sticks with Visual Basic. Since then, I have been infatuated with programming and its real world implications.

In high school, programming classes weren't offered, so I devoted my credits and time to classes that would supplement a programming career and exploring my interests, including marching band. My father too had done marching band as a child, and urged me to join. From freshmen year high school to sophomore year in college, I have been in marching band, and have enjoyed every second. Since I saw the first animation of our show done by a marching band simulator, I've been interested in modeling real life scenarios. It is my wish to learn to do so at your university.

Over the years, I've made many programs alongside my father, some even as contracted work. Having grown up on a farm, my father's work ethic was ironclad, and I struggled to keep up. Between homework, feeding the chickens, and programming, I had my hands full. Whenever I felt overwhelmed, I went to my father, and asked him how he handled it. His favorite response of mine was "If you love your work, there's nothing to be overwhelmed by" and was he right. I learned to appreciate and understand the work I was given, and carried that motive with me all throughout high school.

In college, I finally got a chance at furthering my programming education. At UW-Whitewater, I was both able to be close to home to maintain my lawn business and have an excellent computer science education. Although I went here to develop my programming, with the broad array of classes I had to choose from, I couldn't resist signing up for every class I was interested in. As a result, I never had under seventeen credits per semester, and absolutely loved it. In the beginning, I discovered many of my earlier unknown interests. Through technology clubs, I found my love for the engaging intensity and camaraderie found in developing applications. From Pagan club, I learned to practice and admire the power of spirituality and selflessness. In gospel choir, I, even as an agnostic, learned to treasure the grace and power of vocalized religion. Over time, these interests molded into passions and are now part of who I am. I wish to bring to your University my experiences and passion for programming.
niesaysi 16 / 290 85  
First, welcome to EF and I am glad to have you on board :)

In high school, programming classes weren't offered, so I devoted my credits and time to classes that would supplement a programming career and exploringexplore my interests, including marching band.

From freshmen year in high school to sophomore year in college, I have been in marching band, and have enjoyed every second of it .
Having grown up on a farm, my father's work ethic was ironclad, and I struggled to keep up (from?) --lack with thought
His favorite response of mine was "If you love your work, there's nothing to be overwhelmed by", and was he was right.

Over time, these interests were molded into passions and are now part of who I am.

Home / Undergraduate / Gracious App - University of Wisconsin / Computer Science