It was in grade eleven I decided to pursue a career in accountancy ; U Waterloo AFMAA

contactr3ality 1 / 1  
Hey all,

So I have been doing some prep so that I can be more prepared to write the University of Waterloo AFMAA coming up soon. The AFMAA is used by UW to determine the student's skills in effective written communication as well as Critical/Analytical and Creative Thinking/Judgement. Here's a link for more information about the AFMAA: saf.uwaterloo.ca/afm/AFMAA.html

I wrote this in 30-35 minutes (I think it was around 32.5 min) because we are required to write 3 essays in 2 hours. According to my friend who is in the AFM program this can be an informal essay so that's how I wrote it.

I saw someone actually put their AFMAA essay on here at one point in the past and the comments underneath seemed helpful. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Topic: Why did you choose the Accounting and Financial Management Program?

When I was younger I always thought of becoming a doctor or having a career in the medical field because I wanted to devote my life to helping people and believed that this was the best way to achieve that. However, upon entering high school my eyes were opened to the world of business and all the ways businessmen and women helped people in ways doctors couldn't. In grade nine I was encouraged by friends to join the DECA Chapter at our school, a club devoted to entrepreneurship, and business leadership development. In joining the _________ High School DECA Chapter I was given a taste of what was in the world of business. I was immediately inspired to pursue a career in finance and did all I could to learn more about the different aspects of the business field. I attended Zoom Career Days, different business conferences and spoke with several people in the business field and learned of all the ways these business people helped their local communities through charities and different charitable events.

It was in grade eleven that I decided to pursue a career in accountancy after learning about the exciting opportunities accountants were provided with. In grade twelve I attended a presentation put together by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) and the recruiter talked about her friend who worked for the SWAT team as a forensic accountant. I also knew of accountants that would help families, students and others about how to be money-wise. I wanted to do this as I believed that everyone should be aware of how to properly manage their money and, thereby, avoid financial issues. This presentation reinforced my plans to become an accountant.

When it came to planning where I would he applying and for what programs, Waterloo had always been at the front of my mind. I knew that it was a school known more for engineering than business, but I had uncovered, in my research, that Waterloo had a top-class accounting program known as the Accounting and Financial Management Program (AFM). At the CICA presentation I was delighted to find out that the Waterloo AFM program was recommended for being able to reach the chartered accountancy designation in the most efficient and effective way possible. To top it all of Waterloo is world renowned for it's co-op programs and is close by to where I live. Furthermore, the University of Waterloo Community, in my experience, is inclusive and has a strong school spirit that resonates within its student body.

Upon finding out about the AFM program I knew that this would e the best program to help me reach my goals in life. As far as I'm concerned it is the perfect program to teach me what I need to know how to succeed in the area of accounting and finance. I strongly believe that through this program I will become well equipped to be able to help people and different organisations and charities in financing their money and teaching them how to finance themselves and their families.

So, how does it sound? I feel as if I didn't talk about the AFM program enough but I'm not sure.

Thank you for any input!
annyali93 4 / 7  
I would he applying

I would be applying

uncovered

discovered

great essay! good luck :)
When I was younger I always thought of becoming a doctor or having a career in the medical field because I wanted to devote my life to helping people and believed that this was the best way to achieve that.

....I feel this sentence is a bit too long and it reduces its effect. Also your idea seems getting repeated. This is what I suggest;

When I was young, I dreamed of becoming a doctor as I thought it would be the best way to devote my life to help other people.

However, upon entering high school my eyes were opened to the world of business and all the ways businessmen and women helped people in ways doctors couldn't.

[i]However, in the high school I found a new avenue of helping people although it is very different from the way the doctors do. It was the world of business in that, in my eyes, I see an ample opportunities to serve people to better their lives.[/i]
OP contactr3ality 1 / 1  
Thank you so much for all the feedback. It helped me out a lot! :)

Home / Undergraduate / It was in grade eleven I decided to pursue a career in accountancy ; U Waterloo AFMAA