My grandma and a coup of chicken soup - UC prompt 1

vs321 1 / -  
Describe the world you come from - for example, your family, community or school - and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

As I return home late after the night studies, I always find a cup of hot soup waits. The smell is the comfort. The taste is warmth. The soup always gives me a reason to smile. For the first four years of my life, I lived with my grandparents. It was the soup that makes me put down my toys and go to the dinner table. It was the taste that I would always beg for more. For the three of us, the huge pot of soup seems bottomless. However, my grandmother never bought a smaller one. She would separate half the pot into bowls and share it with the neighbors. Then, she would bring the leftovers chicken bones to the stray dogs on the side of the street.

As I slip in the memories, the side of mouth subtly curls up. Carrying the wound from war, broken family, and seeking refuge, my grandmother seldom mentioned her past. Instead of hating the world for bringing pain and despair, she faced the future with love and optimism. She chose to forgive. She healed her wounds by loving and sharing. As a four -year-old, I enjoyed the freedom living with grandmother, but before I fully comprehend her story I moved back with my parents.

As I entered junior high, I moved back with my grandparents because they live closer to my school. Once again, I stared at the dining hall, sat on the same chair, and behold the same cup of soup. I wondered why it still tasted the same. After all these years, she still held the same philosophy. All it takes was smiles, signs of appreciation, and contentment. I tried to duplicate the flavor, but I realized it came from sharing. I rarely told my grandmother how she shaped my personality. But as I open my heart to the world, I know I am living up to her example. I want to be that person others run to when they face problems. I want the sharing to be more than food, more than materialistic. Whenever an opportunity arrives that I can help other, I volunteer. I enjoy bringing positive energy among my peers and the community.

So, I decided films. Like a cup of chicken soup, I want my films to bring happiness and warmth to people. Through image and sound, I can touch people by the heart and grab on to what they want to hear. Even though I cannot share food or lend a helping hand to everyone around the globe, I wish my film bring inspiration, motivation, and comfort to people with whom I do not usually have contacts.
hasbi 29 / 42 23  
hi...Sarah,..
you
writing not too bad. here my advice.

in the first paragraph you talk about your grandmother who always make a cup of hot soup. but without explain what type of your family, you solely explain the life experience with your grandma there. this background is very good. but you should put and answer related to the prompt. in the next sentence, you showed a detailed description about the size of a put. make sure your flow of the paragraph. what the correlation about this. i thinks this sentence is unnecessary.

paragraph two, you explain your grandma life experience. you say all about your grandma. please look at more closely with the prompt. you can tell us a story about her, but you should give information about how she can alteration your expectation or how she shapes your dreams and aspirations. and i think you also should describe your parents, they are the most important part of family.

paragraph three, in my notion this explanation is so impressive, about how your grandma and grandpa have a good relationship, and you said: After all these years, she still held the same philosophy. All it takes was smiles, signs of appreciation, and contentment" yhis is a good sentence. you can explain it more and make relation with the prompt about your aspiration, how you can learn from the,

good luck.

Home / Undergraduate / My grandma and a coup of chicken soup - UC prompt 1