Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

My Grandma walk hours for a broccoli. Poly supplement for NYU

Alina0223 1 / -  
Hi, I'm an international student applying to the civil engineering major in NYU-Poly. I know it's a little late but Poly say they will still review my application. And since english isn't my mother tongue, I'm worried about my supplement essays to Poly. :( Please help.

1.If you could spend one day in NYC with a famous inventor, who would you like it to be, where would you go, and why?

I would like to take George Stephenson to the High Line in West Manhattan. Stephenson is known as the "Father of Railways," and if I were him, I would be really glad to see that after hundreds of years, my invention is not abandoned but recycled into a green linear park that draws tourists and becomes a place for family and friends to relax and hang out. I believe that inventing something out of nothing is remarkable, but creating things out of any that had been discarded is also extraordinary.

2.Tell us why you selected your major or area of studies.

Before Taipei City Metro was done, my grandma used to take me with her for a half-hour walk to the traditional market every day when I was little. She was in her seventies then and prone to Alzheimer's disease that she could have forgot our way home, or worst, forgot about me. I selected civil engineering because I want to solve infrastructure problems and improve lives. I want to make the world a better and easier place to live in so grandmas don't have to walk for hours for a broccoli.

3.Why do you want to attend NYU-Poly?

In Kinetic Theory, we view gas as a large number of small particles that move rapidly and randomly. These particles collide with each other, and thus, produce the pressure. I want to attend NYU-Poly because I believe that if Poly is a container and students are the little particles, by interacting with my fellow engineering schoolmates and professors, we can stimulate each other and make the maximum production of knowledge and creativity.

4.How are you a "PolyThinker"?

When I was little, I used to draw maze games for my friends to play. It was the paths between the starting and ending points that I enjoyed designing the most. There were the circle ones that look like lollipops or the ones that resemble intestines, and sometimes there were the tricky broken routes. Tackling problems is never a difficulty for me, because combining technical knowledge and creative flair to solve problems is like coming up with those different and playful routes in my maze games.

Home / Undergraduate / My Grandma walk hours for a broccoli. Poly supplement for NYU