Great academic and social community--Why BU

alexis brandon 17 / 44  
The Prompt
Given what you know about Boston University, what do you hope to accomplish as an undergraduate here? Please respond in an essay of no more than 500 words.

My Response

"Boston University is a great academic and social community." This is one of the many things I have discovered about the global institution that is BU. In searching for an extraordinary college, I found BU. With over 250 programs and majors, I can examine multiple fields before choosing among the various internship opportunities offered to satisfy any career track.

As a Boston University undergraduate I want to exploit the BU Advantage. Located in the metropolitan city of Boston, BU will provide me with a place to grow, educate my inquiring mind, interact with a diverse range of people, and be unique. I aspire to be a member of the BU community. I want to discover new things and take on new interests. I want to personalize my Boston University degree by double majoring in the College of Arts and Sciences, not only pursuing my passion for medicine and Political Science, but also learning how to play the piano.

BU turns students into professionals. As doctors turn sick patients into healthy ones, Boston University turns student's passions into a career. I want to be that doctor, the one performing an exploratory surgery to find a tumor, the one who follows a patient through sickness and health. As a result, upon graduating college I wish to pursue graduate school and eventually enter the workforce with a career in medicine. I believe that Boston University can prepare for success with their emphasis on a liberal arts curriculum. With a diverse background in core subjects such as humanities and math, I can receive a holistic education while still focusing on my academic discipline.

As a Boston University undergraduate I imagine myself achieving academic success, engaging in revolutionary research, living in Warren Towers, fueling my creativity through the Travel Writing in Australia program, and participating in the Washington Internship Program experiencing politics firsthand. I want to bask in the sun of the BU beach while reading an intriguing novel as well as catch "the T" to immerse myself in Boston's culture. I want to take a walk through the Boston Commons and catch a weekend performance in the basement of the George Sherman student union, play intramural sports, drift along the lazy river, and attend hockey games.

College is a medium through which student can turn themselves into what they want to be. I hope to be a Boston University student; I want to be a Terrier.

Any comments are welcome and appreciated. Do you think I should add anything, take anything out, or expand on anything? As always I am willing to edit anyone's essay in return. Thank You.
bbish520 8 / 30  
Your essay is eally good! It shows that you did research.
You basiclly covered all aspect so you don't have to really expand on much more.
Thanks for criticizing mine!
Anonymoussenior 17 / 133  
Located in the metropolitan city of Boston, - they know whereit is plus you said Boston University so no need to say it is in boston

I wish to pursue graduate school and eventually enter the

I suggest you go back and read my first post to you for the changes for the last paragraph.
saroth 11 / 47  
While searching for an extraordinary college, I finally found BU.

I think this is completely uneccesary, but if you really want it, just mention that in your first sentence.

correspond with my chosen career path

maybe change to:find one that best suits me and my career

I wish to pursue graduate school eventually enter the workforce with a career in medicine.

maybe change to:I hope to enter graduate school, and eventually enter the workforce as a doctor (or a nurse, or just say a career in medicine)

As a Boston University undergraduate, I imagine

or maybe venture

students can

overall the essay is pretty good and cleary explains what you know and want to achieve through Boston University. Thanks for reading mine and Good Luck
ShadoPoig 11 / 36  
""Boston University is a great academic and social community." This is one of the many things I have discovered about the global institution that is BU."

^Is this really that unique? It seems really mundane and generic.

"BU turns students into professionals and individual passions into a career."
^Awesome line!

"I want to perform an exploratory surgery"

Rest of it is great! Thanks for reading my why uchic essay. I think you're a naturally good writer.

Home / Undergraduate / Great academic and social community--Why BU