FSU - great model for universities all over the country; "Leadership"

cwarner2013 1 / -  
Essay prompt: Florida State University is more than just a world -class academic institution preparing you for a future career. We are a caring community of well-rounded individuals who embrace leadership, learning, service, and global awareness. With this in mind, which of these characteristics appeals most to you, and why?

While all the qualities of Florida State are admirable, the one that appeals most to me is leadership. To lead can mean a variety of things from leading a team, to setting a good example. Leadership may have a different meaning to different people, but to me leadership is the backbone for everything. I want to be someone my brother look can look up to, my friends can admire, and my team can follow and always count on...a leader.

Being a leader doesn't mean you have to go out and attempt to change the world...just being a leader in your own family is something to be proud of. I try to set good examples for my younger brother who is just starting his journey into the realities of the world. I can already see him following in my footsteps. Now all I can do is guide him down the best path, while hoping he has seen me on my journey thus far and learned from both my mistakes and my successes. Without someone to lead you, it is more difficult to find a path which suites you-especially at a university or any other school for that matter.

During my sophomore year in high school, our varsity lacrosse team had the talent to be great. Each player on the team had the ablity to make plays and win games, but we were missing the single most important thing: leadership. We had the most talented group of seniors Tesoro High School had ever seen, but our coaching staff lacked the ability to lead. The coaches were late to practice, careless on the field, and not motivated to lead the team the way we needed. We had a senior named Knute step up and take control of the team. I credit Knute's leadership for the many accomplishments our team had that year because without a leader, all of our potential would have remained just that...potential, and we would not have become the team we did without him.

In my opinion, Florida State University's emphasis on leadership is a great model for universities all over the country to imitate.
Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, "A genuine leader is not a sercher for consensus but a molder of consensus," and I feel that Florida State

University is a genuine "leader". I want to attend Florida State so I can learn from excellent leaders in the classroom and on the lacrosse field; and therefore, I can grow, improve, and succeed as a student , an athlete, and a person. I think this university would be a great match for me as I personally strive to excel not only in the area of leadership, but also in learning, service and global awareness.
Leah_Writer - / 46 4  
Hello! Remember, the point of this essay is for the admissions committee to get to know you, so I think I would focus more on how you'll take advantage of the leadership opportunities Florida State has to offer and why you, personally, want to become a great leader. Expand your lacrosse story, and don't be afraid to tell it in a creative way. Your appreciation of Florida State's emphasis on leadership is good, but you don't want to sound as if you're kissing up to the admissions committee, so focus more on yourself so they can get to know you. I hope that helps. Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / FSU - great model for universities all over the country; "Leadership"