"great for studying math and science" - Why Harvey Mudd essay

Tadpole 2 / 5  
Please help! I am not sure if my essay is technical enough! :S

What influenced you to apply to Harvey Mudd College? What about the HMC curriculum and community appeals to you?
(500-word limit)

I took off in search of a university that is great for studying math and science. I landed on Harvey Mudd. The university seems perfect for how I would prefer to pursue my education. I think using the three part curriculum is a fantastic way to form a mix for students to study engineering and be able to explore the liberal arts. The clinic program is deeply interested me as it would allow me to gain real world experience whilst studying at the university. I would take advantage of such an opportunity to gain further insight into what engineering is like after graduation. It will help me in deciding which aspect of engineering I am more interested in. It will also provide me with the prospect of getting to know the technological aspect of the world in greater depths. I was very pleased to see that Harvey Mudd allows undergraduate students to participate in research work along with graduate students and professors. Apart from providing such platforms, Harvey Mudd is able to offer students individual attention from the faculty with a small student body to faculty ratio. I believe that close relationships with the professors is of great help in the learning experience.

Harvey Mudd has a one of a kind Honors program. This I believe is excellent in forming a safe yet interesting learning environment. It forms a trust between the students which I feel is very important in a community. I admire the ASHMC constitution and how it is used to such great effect. Though at first I was afraid that it would be a strict institute, I was glad to learn that Harvey Mudd allows jokes and pranks all in good faith. Harvey Mudd has a diverse student body. I being an international student wish to contribute to the multicultural environment of the university. I am very excited to be able to contribute to the tightly knit community.

I was very impressed by the level of commitment in the sports department shown by Harvey Mudd. I have read a great deal about the intercollegiate athletic program, which is one of the most successful athletic programs in the United States. I am very eager to be part of such healthy competition and hopefully perform at such high levels.

The one thing that I admire most about Harvey Mudd is that it allows its students to have fun. Apart from parties and extracurricular activities, I have read that it also makes education more interesting and the programs more exciting. It encourages students to enjoy their time at the university. I believe that it is imperative for students to learn in an enjoyable fashion. I find it much easier to focus in such an atmosphere.

I believe that Harvey Mudd will be the perfect platform for me to explore my interests and fulfill my potential. My time at this university will, I am sure, be unforgettable.
Jomaha23 7 / 29  
"The clinic program has deeply interested me , as..."
"...real world experience while ..."

Last sentence could be: I'm sure my time at the university will be unforgettable.

The essay really answers the prompt, but I think you should have a thesis. The thesis should include EVERY SINGLE ASPECT you like about the university, then in the paragraph body you should have all the little details. Thats all I think, Good luck :)!
notexactly - / 2  
1. A piece of advice for any of these essays: don't tell them things they already know. You said "Harvey Mudd has a one of a kind Honors program." and "Harvey Mudd has a diverse student body." They already know; they work there.

2. "I was very pleased to see that Harvey Mudd allows undergraduate students to participate in research work along with graduate students and professors." What graduate students? HMC is undergrad-only. Make sure you get the facts right.

3. At the top you said "I am not sure if my essay is technical enough!" Don't worry, they're not usually looking for technical essays. They want to see that you can write well and that you actually want to go there.

P.S. I just realized a few hours ago that they ask for this essay, so I just started writing mine! I didn't copy yours, of course, but it calmed me a little to see what someone else had written.
OP Tadpole 2 / 5  
Thank You for pointing that out! I had copied that bit from my Northwestern Essay and must have forgotten to erase that bit! Life saver! :)

Home / Undergraduate / "great for studying math and science" - Why Harvey Mudd essay