Our greatest glory is not in never failing,but in rising up every time: Recount a failure

phamphuongnam 1 / -  
There is a truism saying that: "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail." (Ralph Waldo Emerson). Failure happens to everyone; however, how we overcome it is much more important in defining what we are. When I was in grade nine, I experienced failure in studying that taught me a useful lesson.

In my hometown-VungTau city, every year, there was a competition for gifted students in all secondary schools. When I was studying in grade nine, I was selected to become a member in Math team of my secondary school. I was very happy because I could have a chance to take part in the competition among hundreds of students. My Math team was taught by the best teachers in my school so that all members could be ready for the competition. I knew that this competition was very important to my school because if students in my school could achieve high rank, school's prestige would be improved. Math team only consisted of ten members; each member tried their best in studying every time. I, a member in this team, also studied a lot in order to achieve the best reward after the competition. We have been studying for over two months. Finally, the competition came; all of members in my team were ready for the competition. We spent three hours doing our tests in a secondary school chosen by the city. After doing my test, I recognized that I did not do my best in this test so I was a little worried, but I still wanted to have a reward in this competition. Two weeks went through, we finally received our results. I was very nervous when hearing my teachers saying the names of students who rank high in the competition. I was really shocked when knowing that I failed the test with the lowest mark in my team. I was definitely disappointed. I was not confident to see my teacher again although she encouraged me a lot.

At first, I was very frustrated and sad because of bad result. The competition was also an occasion to test whether I was well-qualified for the next entrance exam to the gifted high school. I was very confused in deciding to take part in this exam. I failed the competition for the gifted students in secondary school and maybe I could fail in the entrance exam too. However, I thought more deeply again about my bad performance in the competition. I recognized that because I had not been confident and careful enough, I failed the competition dismally. During the test, I was so nervous that I could not think anything. Some of the exercises were related to the lessons I had learned before, but I could not remember them. Additionally, I had not checked again the exercises I could do. Consequently, some of the results were wrong. After learning the reason of my failure, I was not mad or frustrated anymore. In contrast, I was jubilant that I had obtained useful experience.

After this failure, I studied a lot and tried to be more careful when doing exercises. I felt better and studied with my one hundred percent attempt in order to succeed in the next entrance exam to the high school. I also took part in some trial exam so that I could improve my confidence under hard pressure. I felt more confident than before and after doing one exercise, I always spent few seconds to check again my result. At last, in the real test, I finished the exercises correctly and was very confident that I could pass this exam. Finally, with my attempt and useful lessons I have learned from my failure, I have passed the entrance exam with high result. There are many ways to learn; in my perspective, learning from failure is one of the best ways.
Gul Dana - / 2  
Do you think that quotes are good in essays? My teacher told me that quotes are not good in essays, specially for IELTS. People what do you think?

I, a member in this team, also studied a lot in order to achieve the

I think its better to say I am not an exception to this either as a member of this team as well.

We have been studying for over two months. Finally, the competition came

I feel that its better to put them in one sentences, maybe We have been studying for over two monthes before the participation in that competition. You should to revise your essay and correct some sentences in order to link them in one sentences by using some linking words.
This looks like a college app. Isn't it? So, why did you post it to Writing Feedback?

@ phamphuongnam - Hey, I found this in Writing Feedback forum. You should have posted it into Undergraduate forum and I moved this from there to Writing Feedback.

In my hometown-VungTau city, every year, there was a competition for gifted students in all secondary schools. When I was studying in grade nine, I was selected to become a member in Math team of my secondary school. Iand was very happy because I could havestood a chance to take part in the that competition among hundreds of very bright students.

each member triedtheirhis best in studying every time

.... I removed the redundant parts.

Home / Undergraduate / Our greatest glory is not in never failing,but in rising up every time: Recount a failure