Green Squash - Common App Extracurricular

swtlildee 5 / 19  
Thank you so much! I really appreciate all the critique I can get.

Common App - Please briefly elaborate on one of your extracurricular activities or work experiences in the space below (150 words or fewer).

A green squash. I envied no toothsome Godiva or golden apple, but a goose-bumped, lopsided vegetable. A petite, elderly patient presented the token of appreciation to the most unlikely Aphrodite: a middle-aged physician resembling a Taiwanese Santa Claus. "To the most deserving of gratitude" was the squash's succulent inscription.

A research volunteer at City of Hope, I shadowed the physician during patient rounds, an experience that solidified my resolution to pursue medicine. A humble shadow, I witnessed the great fulfillment and human connection the doctor achieves in his daily labor. Individuals come not just for his healing, but also for him. His touching relationships with patients supersede medicine, and patients' returning expressions of pure gratitude are his golden apples, dear motivators for life. I strive to one day be an individual deserving a gift as invaluable as a green squash.
"an individual" should be replaced with a different noun.

Other than that, I can't find room for improvement. This is obviously an inspired work of writing, and you write very well.

Here is one idea: solidified ...-----> and awakened
solidified my resolution to pursue medicine and awakened my interest in XXXX as a possible area of specialization. ----this will add detail to the impression you make on the reader. What specializations might you choose?

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Green Squash - Common App Extracurricular