I grew up between two different cultures; Motivational Letter International Business

sguney 1 / -  
Hello there,
Next year I want to study International Business in Holland, and in order to get picked, I have to write a motivational letter. I'm not quite sure about it at all, so could anyone please check it for me or give me some advice?

Max: 500 words.
Questions to be answered:
1. Please explain your international background. Refer to education, exchange and international project and extracurricular activities.
2. Why did you choose the bachelor programme International Business?
3. How does BSc International Business fit in your future career?
4. How will you contribute to the international classroom of International Business?

The motivational letter:
Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to apply for a place at your university, because I am interested in studying International Business at the ...university next year.

Since my father is Turkish and my mother is Dutch, I grew up between two different cultures. On one side the sober, individualistic Dutch culture, and on the other side the intense, collectivistic Turkish culture. This has not only made me respectful and understanding towards other cultures, but also made me curious about them.

In fourth grade of secondary school, I got to go on an exchange to Barcelona. This was not only for fun, because it has also taught me how important language, background information and culture really is. The courses Spanish I have taken since first grade of secondary school came in handy for the first time. During the exchange I came to realize I wanted to go international in the future.

Since I have always been interested in countries and cultures, I had to find a study that would fit with this. Since I am following an Economics and Society profile, an economic or management study would fit in great. After following courses during Student for a day at Rijksuniversiteit Groningen, I was completely sure International Business was the study I had been looking for. I like how the study International Business combines cultural courses, with economic, financial and management courses. Altogether makes a great combination for me.

For the past few years I have been playing basketball on a high level, drove around the whole country to play matches and practiced a lot. This has taught me how to plan and 'multitask' in order to maintain the good results at school, but most important, it has taught me how to stay calm under these stressful circumstances. Therefore, I think I would be a good manager and that is why I can see myself having a managing position at a large international company. Moreover, the international classroom will definitely expand and enrich my career network, which surely will come in handy after I finish my bachelor in International Business.

But what is more important, is how I can contribute to the international classroom. First of all, I can learn them about two different cultures, both Turkish and Dutch. Secondly, I am a very social and open-minded person, who finds it easy to work in groups and likes to take responsibility for challenging tasks. And last but not least, something which might be hard for others but is easier for me, is to cope with cultural differences, and switch easily between them. This is a skill I could learn the foreign students who find it hard to get used to the Dutch culture.

Therefore, I would enjoy studying at your university. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Yours sincerely,
...
samanthaaaj 4 / 6  
Instead of "...I grew up between two different cultures. On one side the sober, individualistic Dutch culture, and on the other side the intense, collectivistic Turkish culture. This has not only made me respectful and understanding towards other cultures, but also made me curious about them. " I would say something like "I grew up with the sober, individualistic Dutch culture on one side, and the intense, collectivistic Turkish culture on the other. Growing up in such a unique situation has not only made me respectful and understanding towards other cultures, but also made me curious about them. "

Also, instead of "This was not only for fun, because it has also taught me how important language, background information and culture really is. The courses Spanish I have taken since first grade of secondary school came in handy for the first time. During the exchange I came to realize I wanted to go international in the future. " I would say "This was not only a fun and recreational experience, but it also taught me how important language, background information and culture really is. The Spanish courses I had taken since first grade of secondary school came in handy for the first time. It was during the exchange program that I came to realize I wanted to go international in the future. " That last sentence is pivotal. You want to stress it because based off of this letter, it seems like that was the key moment that you chose to follow a path in international business. Other than that, I like your ideas. Most of my suggestions would be stylistic things, or grammatical things. The content is good!

Well... I like the way you have presented it :)

I got to go on an exchange to Barcelona.

I happened to go on an exchange to Barcelona.

This was not only for fun, because it has also taught me how important language, background information and culture really is.

This was not only enjoyable, but also helped me gain a wealth of learning that included Spanish language, culture and international exposure.

Since I have always been interested in countries and cultures, I had to find a study that would fit with this.

My interest in countries and cultures influenced me to find a field of study that has a good fit with my interest.

Home / Undergraduate / I grew up between two different cultures; Motivational Letter International Business