Grinnell College's moniker replacement

szklany 1 / -  
For much of its history the spirit of Grinnell College has been symbolized by the nickname 'Pioneers.' If the College were to retire the 'Pioneers' moniker, what would you recommend to replace it? In your answer, reflect on the history, current environment, and/or core principles of Grinnell College as you understand them, and explain your choice.

The 'Pioneers' moniker would be extremely difficult to replace, because of the powerful meaning of the word pioneer. Pioneers are often some of the bravest and most adventurous people. They are the first of the first to go and explore places where no man has ever gone before. The nickname 'Pioneers' perfectly symbolizes the spirit of Grinnell College. Grinnell College has always be known for establishing and creating new programs that other school might not even dare to consider. For example, Grinnell has a '5th year travel-service program.' This program is similar to the Peace Corps, but it was created many years before it. Furthermore, Grinnell has always been pioneers in new teaching methods and educational innovation, which always emphasizes the individual. Social activism and standing up for what is right before anyone else dares to is also a big part of Grinnell. The new nickname would need to be able to express all these incredible qualities that Grinnell possesses. It is an extremely difficult task to come up with name with such a powerful meaning. However, with everything that Grinnell means in my mind, I think the name 'Spearheads.' To spearhead means to serve as a leader or the leading element of something, and like pioneer I want to use a word that shows that Grinnell are the leaders or the instigators. I feel 'Spearhead' would suit Grinnell College very well. I believe that Grinnell College has spearheaded a strong school. Grinnell College educates students to be independent leaders in and out of school.
orange133 1 / 3  
I am sorry to reply at the eleventh hour, but your essay seriously needs some treatment. The prompt is asking you to justify a new moniker that you think suits Grinnell. You don't need to describe why the nickname "pioneer" is justifiable, because it is! You need to give some new nickname to replace the old moniker and describe why the new nickname suits the college. Hope you find this helpful.
symbolized by the nickname 'Pioneers.' ---Nicknames don't symbolize; they name. Symbols symbolize... so... a different verb will be better. For example... "associated with" could work.

If the College were to retire the 'Pioneers' moniker, what would you recommend to replace it? ---Oh! Ha ha haha, I was correcting the prompt, not the essay. My bad. Well, you should tell the AO office that symbols symbolize, and names name. :-)

Less is more:
Pioneers are often some of the bravest and most adventurous people. They are the first of the first to go and explore places where no man one has ever gone before.

Social activism and standing up for what is right before anyone else dares to is are also a big part of Grinnell.

The new nickname would need to be able to express all these incredible qualities that Grinnell possesses. It is an extremely difficult task to come up with name with such a powerful meaning, but with everything that Grinnell m eans in my mind I think of the name 'Spearheads.'

Missing a word here: To spearhead means to serve as...

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / Grinnell College's moniker replacement