Unanswered [3] | Urgent [0]
  

Home / Undergraduate   % width Posts: 2

Grinnell Supplement: How did I come to know G & a new Mascot/Nickname for G


youngkim 2 / 2  
Dec 31, 2009   #1
Prompt:
How did you first learn about Grinnell? (500 characters)


During my one-year stay in Madison, Wisconsin, my family travelled to Iowa to see the bridges of Madison County. On the way, we dropped by Grinnell College and took a look around. Though I was only ten back then, I recalled my visit as I began my college search and explored Grinnell on-line. Not before long, I learned that Grinnell precisely fit my dream school: a top-notch liberal arts college in the Midwest, with the full range of studies open for me to venture in, with the least restrictions.

Prompt:
Since its founding in 1846, the spirit of Grinnell College has been symbolized by its nickname, "The Pioneers." After more than a century of service, the "Pioneers" are being retired. What new mascot or nickname would you recommend for Grinnell College to reflect its history, current environment, and core principles, as you understand them, and why?(500 characters)


I think "Iceberg" is a fitting nickname for Grinnell. What we see of an iceberg is really only the 10% tip of the whole mass; the remaining 90% is hidden under the water. Similarly, while Grinnell is not so exposed above surface, below there is the 90% consisting of Grinnell's commitment to diversity and freedom in education. Moreover, Grinnell's students are also like icebergs in that they embody the 90% of potentials and a pursuit of scholarship as pure as the pure water constituting icebergs.
poisonivy 14 / 102  
Dec 31, 2009   #2
Though I was only ten back then, I recalled my visit as I began my college search... - it could be useful to explain a bit how did you feel about Grinnell back then?

and explored Grinnell online
Moreover, Grinnell's students are also like icebergs in that they embody the 90% of potentials and a pursuit of scholarship as pure as the pure water constituting icebergs. - this is a bit vague, please reword it.

Hope I helped. Please help me as well :)


Home / Undergraduate / Grinnell Supplement: How did I come to know G & a new Mascot/Nickname for G