'we can grow and learn' - Babson Supplement - Letter to Roomate

mvlauria94 2 / 4  
Dear Roommate,

I cannot even begin to explain how excited I am to be here and I hope you are as well. After all our hard work during high school we finally made it into a school that is highly recognized for its academics and leadership preparation, that is why I am sure that we will receive all the tools that we need to build a successful future. Babson was one of my top choices manly because of its focus on leadership. Throughout my high school years, I worked closely with clubs such as debate and community service, these helped me become a leader not only in my school but in my community as well. In addition, I was very happy to see that Babson provided the opportunity to participate in various activities to help others and use the skills acquired in classrooms to provide a greater good to those in need. I would like to participate in some of the many cultural activities offered by the school, such as traveling to Africa and teaching what we learn to the people there. Another thing that motivates me about Babson is that we can interact with a city rich in culture and with the wide variety of people that reside in this campus. I like to take advantages of situations like these to share my Latin culture with others and learn from them as well, and that is what I wish to share with you as we enter this new stage of our lives together. I moved to the United States on my last year of high school and had to adapt to a completely new environment, for this reason I am good at acclimating to a new place and I am always enthusiastic about meeting new people. As you can see, I am very curious and willing to learn new things, that is why most of the time I might be either out exploring the city or reading a book, because one of the most important things to me, is being aware of what is going on in the world that surrounds us. Now that you now a little bit about me, I hope I will get to know a lot of things about you too and that we can grow and learn as much as possible during our time together at Babson.

Sincerely, your roommate
morr_j23 1 / 6  
"After all our hard work during high school we finally made it into a school that is highly recognized for its academics and leadership preparation, that is why I am sure that we will receive all the tools that we need to build a successful future."

This is not a good sentence. If I were you, I would rearrange it to say something like "After all of our hard work during high school, it finally paid off by being accepted into a school that is highly recognized for its academics and leadership preparation. I feel confident that this will be the first stepping stone into the path for a successful future."

Also, check spelling. Be careful about run on sentences. Some of them are a little too wordy, such as "I moved to the United States on my last year of high school and had to adapt to a completely new environment, for this reason I am good at acclimating to a new place and I am always enthusiastic about meeting new people." Semicolons are a good thing! Periods are, too.. Try to use them more often.

And the ending should be:

Sincerely,
Your roommate

Other than those minor mistakes, it's a pretty good letter.
Manda4564 1 / 4  
Dear Roommate,

I cannot even begin to explain how excited I am to be here and I hope you are as well. After all our hard work during high school we finally made it into a school that is highly recognized for its academics and leadership preparation. T hat is why I am sure that we will receive all the tools that we need to build a successful future. Babson was one of my top choices manly because of its focus on leadership. Throughout my high school years I worked closely with clubs, such as debate and community service, that have helped me become a leader not, only in my school but in my community as well. In addition, I was very happy to see that Babson provided the opportunity to participate in various activities to help others and use the skills acquired in classrooms to provide a greater good to those in need. (<-run on, wordy, awkward sentence) I would like to participate in some of the many cultural activities offered by the school, such as traveling to Africa and teaching what we learn to the people there. Another thing that motivates me about Babson is that we can interact with a city rich in culture and with the wide variety of people that reside in this campus. I like to take advantage(removed s on advantages) of situations like these to share my Latin culture with others and learn from them as well. This is also what I wish to share with you as we enter this new stage of our lives together. I moved to the United States on my last year of high school and had to adapt to a completely new environment. F or this reason I am good at acclimating to a new place and I am always enthusiastic about meeting new people. As you can see, I am very curious and willing to learn new things. I could be either out exploring the city or reading a book, because one of the most important things to me(no comma) is being aware of what is going on in the world that surrounds us. Now that you now a little bit about me, I hope I will get to know a lot of things about you too and that we can grow and learn as much as possible during our time together at Babson.

Sincerely,
your roommate

Besides that work on run on sentences and your word choice
Also, a lot of sentences seemed to be wordy and could easily be shortened in a few words
Lastly, if feels like you jump around a lot in your letter and it isn't not really unified and lacks flow

Home / Undergraduate / 'we can grow and learn' - Babson Supplement - Letter to Roomate