"to grow as a student and as a person" - UNCW 2010

emg725 1 / -  
Reflecting on your personal and educational goals, please write about how you believe UNC Wilmington will allow you to grow as a student and as a person.

By my freshman year of high school, I had already decided there was nothing I wanted to do with my life more than to teach elementary school. So, I began doing everything I could to make sure this would be the right choice: I volunteered at an after-school care facility, did volunteer tutoring, and most importantly, enrolled in the Teacher Cadet program at my school. I was lucky enough to spend two hours every morning teaching a second grade class. Through this, I was able to have a true perspective of what my life would be like if I continued on the path to be a teacher; and I could not fathom wanting to do anything else. Still, it was my Honors English 1 teacher who originally solidified my ambition. Mr. Hertz inspired me to be the type of teacher who does more than help students pass a test at the end of the year, but one who actually makes a difference in their lives as well by teaching them something they will remember and use in life. I want to encourage students to reach their potential, make them realize what they are capable of, and most of all, I want to inspire someone the way Mr. Hertz inspired me; and I believe UNCW, along with the Watson School of Education, is the school to help me cultivate my passion for education and become the type of educator I dream of being.

Since I was in middle school, I have accompanied my family to visit numerous college campuses, moved in both of my older brothers to various schools, visited friends at their schools, and taken tours of all the campuses I would be interested in. However, no campus felt immediately like home the way the University of North Carolina at Wilmington did. I have spent a lot of time over the years on the campus and in the city with my brother, a senior at UNCW this year, and I have fallen in love with the school, the town, and the people. Even after my college years, I hope to move to Wilmington.

The air of community and family which surrounds Wilmington makes me gravitate to the area. UNCW's size is a major factor in creating this atmosphere. It is close-knit enough that everywhere one goes there is a familiar and friendly face, but large and diverse enough that there is always something new to do or become involved in. Also, the medium sized classes make it possible to form more personal relationships with professors and really find the assistance necessary to be successful.

The multitude of cultures which swarms to UNCW provides the diverse kind of atmosphere I want to surround myself with. One thing I definitely want college to be is a new experience on many levels, somewhere I can learn about more than just my coursework but about the world around me as well. The diversity of Wilmington's population offers the perfect opportunity for such an experience.

When I visit and eat lunch at the Hawk's Nest or take a walk through campus past Morton and the Union, I can picture myself doing just that every day with such ease that I can not imagine doing it anywhere else. I am prepared for the changes which will ensue on my world and I am utterly exuberant about beginning the rest of my life as a Seahawk.
The word "this" should be followed by a noun, usually:
Through this process , I was able to have gain (action verb!) a true perspective of what my life would be like if I continued on the path to be a teacher; and I could not fathom wanting to do anything else.

This is very good! As you revise, spend time expressing your philosophy of education (google this: purposes of education list)

Also spend time demonstrating your knowledge of their program compared to similar programs and show that you really have spent a lot of time making your decision about attending this school.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "to grow as a student and as a person" - UNCW 2010