'still growing and learning' - ACET application essay

AuRyou 1 / 2  
The theme is "What experiences in your life, or accomplishments that have helped define you as a person?"
Please help me correct my grammar. Any form of constructive criticism is acknowledge.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Nelson Mandela said, "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure," and it is our light, not our darkness that frightens us most.

As a kid, all I did was dwell inside our house; play with my toys and amuse myself in my own world. My parents are very protective of me. They would lecture me, but never was I physically reprimanded.

Everything was the same at school. I did not belong to a large clique. I was never a part of any club. I was not like any other child. I did not want to start any conversation, and did not want to meet the eyes of others. My silence was my self-defence.

When I was in 6th grade, my Mathematics teacher asked me to join a math competition. I accepted. So, after school I need to stay after class hours to be lectured. In the first day, I was asked to answer questions to assess our ability. After seeing how hard the test was, I can only answer it half-heartedly. The next day, I asked my teacher if she can take me off the team. She was hesitant about it but did it anyway. After this, I never took part in any co-curricular activities fearing that I would not be able to win.

But, things changed when I entered high school. At first it was hard for me to cope with other students because of the unfamiliar environment. But slowly, I adapted. And before I knew it I was being asked, yet again, to compete. But, this time I took the challenge.

The day of the competition arrived, and I was ready after weeks of preparations. My team mate and I sat there as the guidelines are being read. And the competition started. The easy round passed. Then the average round, and finally the difficult round are done. I was nervous as they were announcing the scores. And we won.

These made me realize that you can gain nothing from shrinking so that others will feel secure. And that we are born to utilize what God has given us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. Up to this day, I'm still a bit shy. And I am kind of bad in starting friendship. But will keep and cherish it.

I know that I am still growing and learning. Every experience I will encounter, good or bad, will play a big role in moulding me. I've learned that ups and downs are the ones that make my ride of life worthwhile. Knowing that after every downs of life, knowing that I've overcome and have learnt something from it makes me feel stronger. On the other hand, the ups of life are the moments where I finally get the fruits of my labour. It is the time where I rejoice knowing that choices I have made is all worth it.
Xeltar 2 / 3  
First of all, though I doubt most people reading your essay would know, Nelson Mandela never said that quote in his inaugural address. If you must use it, extend the quotation marks to the end of it. Secondly, I fail to see how the quote relates to your essay, the speaker is referring to (in my understanding) how having the position of leadership is very hard. Your story of winning the math competition is no way certain unlike being "powerful beyond measure".

Don't say half-heartedly that kinda evokes that you didn't really put in an effort.

Home / Undergraduate / 'still growing and learning' - ACET application essay