Growing up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (educational mix and diversity)

jdog345 1 / -  
Thanks very much for helping me! Any ideas or thoughts will be greatly appreciated! The prompt is:

A range of academic interests, personal perspectives, and life experiences adds much to the educational mix. Given your personal background, describe an experience that illustrates what you would bring to the diversity in a college community, or an encounter that demonstrated the importance of diversity to you.

Here is my essay, this is just a first draft:

Growing up from ages five to eleven in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, I never noticed that difference in one's skin color, religion, or physical difference. I never chose friends because of race or beliefs, but instead by personality and kindness. When my family moved from Philadelphia to Maine, life changed greatly for me. Reminiscing on the transition 6 years later, I notice the change in diversity from Philadelphia to Kennebunkport. But diversity to me isn't just the color of one's skin, or one's religion, or hair color. Those are but a few. Diversity is a mixture of academic interests and talents that create a unique person.

A skill of mine began in just seventh grade when I desired to become a chef. I didn't want to be an average short order cook; I desired to establish a distinctive five star restaurant. I took the initiative to teach myself how to cook. My family noticed me invest variety of cookbooks offering different cooking techniques and recipes. After some time, I earned a job as a food preparer at a local five star restaurant The White Barn Inn, where I have been creating five star dishes. I later discovered that a chef was not suit for me. Nevertheless that didn't stop me from cooking. My job still educates me with new techniques and experiences for the time to come. Despite not aspiring to be a chef anymore, knowing how to cook is a great talent that will last a lifetime, especially through college.

After reading Earnest Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls, my mind was in awe of how someone could write with such simple words yet create a whole new world to me. Hemingway revealed to me that books are more than just words, but actually new lifestyles. After that one book, reading became a part of my everyday life. I read The Great Gatsby, A Farewell to Arms, On the Road, and many more. And I absorbed a great deal of information about writers and writing styles. With just reading one book, I always learned something new.

Diversity is what a person is. No two people are identically alike. People vary greatly from one to another, not just bodily. I realized at the age of eleven, Maine was a very different state than Pennsylvania. Moving to where I am now, I realized that just because I am a few hundred miles from where I once lived, does not mean I have to change who I am as a person. For myself, being different from the usual person is what being diverse means to me. Growing up has changed what I am appealed to or even my appearance. Yet, what I have acquired skill in will be with me for years to come.
My family noticed me invest in a variety of cookbooks, offering different cooking techniques and recipes.

After some time, I earned a job as a food preparer at a local five star restaurant, The White Barn Inn, where I have been creating five star dishes.

I later discovered that being a chef was not suitable for me.

I read The Great Gatsby, A Farewell to Arms, On the Road, and many more, and I absorbed a great deal of information about writers and writing styles.---I made one sentence out of these two to make it flow better. You can change it back if you want to, it would still be okay.

By reading just one book, I always learned something new.

Growing up has changed what I am attracted to and even my appearance.

Yet, what I have acquired in skill in will be with me for years to come.

You're an excellent writer, because you're also a reader. Good luck in school and have fun!

:)

Home / Undergraduate / Growing up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (educational mix and diversity)