Growing up I was always an uncaring and irresponsible kid - about one interest or experience

s150122 1 / -  
Tell us about one interest or experience of yours that allows us to get to know you better as an individual. Under 300 words. can you give me advice and help cut down words

Growing up I was always an uncaring and irresponsible kid. Whatever I asked my parents for I received. I thought that I could have everything I wanted and it would never end; everything seemed so easy and reachable. Rarely in my life had I reflected on any memories from my childhood until now. At such young age didn't realize the gravity of what my parents were sacrificing to give to me and my brother. I became fully aware of my dad's biggest sacrifice the sacrifice he made for me and my brother when my father left my family in Mexico to come to America to send money for us in order to have a brighter future and a better life than he had. He worked 12 hour shifts and still managed to call at night to ask how my day was going and how I was. My father is a man I look up to but I also know my mother had to be a strong woman in order to be able to raise two young kids by herself. There was times when she faced away from my brother and I so we wouldn't see her cry when things weren't going well financially and she didn't know how to keep food in the table. Eventually things got better and my mother, my brother, and I joined my father in America. Everything that my parents have done is for my brother and I. Even now when my Dad gets home from a long work day and I see the dirt in his face and the redness of his eyes from the dust from the factory he works at. He tells me he has done everything for me, for I could have a better chance at life than him. I have grown up and no longer an uncaring irresponsible kid. I have inherited my parents drive to keep going and to keep moving forward when things get tough. Their sacrifices have made me who I am. They placed their trust in me to inherit their hopes and dreams. The sacrifices that my parents made for me will not be in vain, because one day I will make them proud as proud as I am of being their son by being the first in my family to go to college.
softball16 2 / 16 4  
Your short essay was very interesting to read, but one thing I learned from this website is too never bash on yourself and make yourself seem like a "bad" person. I understand that, thats what your essay is about but maybe just writing a sentence at the beginning would be as helpful and a sentence at the end to just tie it all together.

Maybe your sentence Rarely in my life had I reflected on any memories from my childhood until now. That would be better at the beginning of your essay rather than the negative stuff you stated about yourself, it brings out a rather more different tone to your prompt.

At such young age didn't realize the gravity of what my parents were sacrificing to give to me and my brother
You could probably change this sentence, too:
At a very young age I never realized the gravity of what my parents had to sacrifice in order to provide something better for my brother and I.

I became fully aware of my dad's biggest sacrifice the sacrifice he made for me and my brother when my father left my family in Mexico to come to America to send money for us in order to have a brighter future and a better life than he had. He worked 12 hour shifts and still managed to call at night to ask how my day was going and how I was. My father is a man I look up to but I also know my mother had to be a strong woman in order to be able to raise two young kids by herself. There was times when she faced away from my brother and I so we wouldn't see her cry when things weren't going well financially and she didn't know how to keep food in the table. Eventually things got better and my mother, my brother, and I joined my father in America.

My father left Mexico to come to America to help us out financially, he wanted us to have a bright future and therefore would send us money from his lengthy, excruciating 12 hour work shifts. He hoped that one day we wouldn't have to relive the hardships that he had to go through growing up. My strong mother had to raise two young kids all on her own since my father was away. At times we faced financial troubles, and my mother all alone didn't know what to do. These were some of the sacrifices my family faced and it was difficult to overcome them; but things started to change for the better as we finally decided to move to America.

These are just a few things we can change with your paper, you can use these as a template or just use the whole thing hope it helps :)
Luis, while you have written a very touching story, there is a problem in the way you presented it . The story revolves more around your father and his American adventure prior to your family joining him. So we are learning more about your father's experience rather than your own experience. Try to revise the essay in such a manner that it concentrates on your own experience instead. You can talk about the academic and social adjustments that you had to make when you arrived in the United States and how the move altered your family dynamic in your mind. Have the reader join you on the experience. Let us in on what it was like for you to experience America the first time and to have to deal with a culture really different from your own. You claim your parents provided for anything you wished when you live in Mexico, explain how and why that changed in the U.S. and how that change helped you develop as a person. Present your development as a person, what traits changed and what improved? Show us how the move created an improved version of Luis 1.0 :-)

Home / Undergraduate / Growing up I was always an uncaring and irresponsible kid - about one interest or experience