'Personal growth' - the benefits of having a diverse educational community?

swimmerpolo07 1 / -  
This is a statement essay for Virginia Tech. It has to be less than 250 words. I just kind of wrote something and am not sure if it's good or not. All comments and criticisms are welcome. Thanks!

Question: What are the benefits of having a diverse educational community?

A diverse educational community allows for personal growth enabling one to find who he or she truly is. With a diverse educational community comes different people, different cultures, different languages, different ethnicities, etc. All of these things allow a person to delve deep into their inner-self to find out what they believe in and want out of life. When we as individuals come in contact with those different from ourselves we have to learn in interact together. We learn and grow from our differences enabling us to find ourselves instead of being who our parents have raised us to be. Sure, we follow some of the path our parents have laid out of us but eventually we find ourselves as being a new version of our parents because of what we've learned about ourselves from others.

Diversification of the educational community empowers us to learn in different ways and to see things like we otherwise wouldn't have. These different ways of thinking show us how much is out there in the world and gives us perspective about every little piece we have yet to learn.
Cortniesb 4 / 15  
Talk specifically about how diversity has been a benefit to you. You say a lot about "We, We, We." What about "You". You know what I mean?
With a diverse educational community comes different people, different cultures, different languages, different ethnicities, etc.

This is a very obvious statement. You should go beyond the obvious and make your own unique points about diversity. As I continue to read, I see that you did this successfully later on in the essay.

Sure, we follow some of the paths our parents have laid out of us, but eventually we find ourselves as being a becoming new versions of our parents because of what we've learned about ourselves from others.

I think the essay does make some unique observations about diversity... thanks for posting this!!

Home / Undergraduate / 'Personal growth' - the benefits of having a diverse educational community?