Gtown about me essay

sababy993 2 / 2  
Someone once told me that mirrors show the reflection of our inner selves. When I look in the mirror, I do not like what I see. Instead of one figure, I see two separate images struggling to be my dominate self. First, there is Iyesogie. She is a proud Nigerian teenager who has to keep up with the high expectation of "home". The other is Cea. She is a free spirit American teen who believes that there is good in everyone. As I look at my inner selves, I also try to grasp which one should I be. Should I be like Cea and speak American slang or like Iyesogie and Pidgin English? Should I cook Fufu, a Nigerian cuisine, or make mash potatoes, an American meal? Should I wear my native attire or wear just jeans and a t-shirt? These teens are zealous but stubborn. Since they refuse to compromise, I go on living life struggling to figure out which one is the real me.

In order to find the real me, I look at Iyesogie; she has a hard life, but it is what makes her strong. Iyesogie is a Nigerian immigrant who came to the United States for a better life. At a young age, Iyesogie was taught that hard work and discipline was the only way of survival. Her parents have high expectation of her since birth. In order for her to remember her duties, her parents named her Iyesogie, mother who is above all others. She is focused on making her parents proud. Even though she lives in America, Iyesogie does the same duties she would have done back "home". As the oldest daughter, she is required to be like the mother of the house. She takes care of her younger siblings, makes sure her home is neat and cooks the meals for her family. Iyesogie knows that the things she learns now will benefit her later in life.

Iyesogie is a hard worker, but I am not sure I can live with all the pressure. I look at Cea; she does not have as much pressure on her as Iyesogie. Even though she cares about her education, her passion is to help people. Cea believes that one person can change the world. Her role model is her aunt, Dr. Izeduwa Derex-Briggs. Dr. Derex-Briggs is HIV Program Specialist at United Nations Population Fund. Dr, Derex-Briggs' work inspires Cea to become a doctor also. The idea of working with people from different countries gives Cea a sense of pride and will fulfilled her need to help people.

As I look at myself, I wonder, "Must I separate the two?" Who says I cannot embrace the ethics given to me from Nigeria to help other people in need. Why cannot I study hard to figure out ways how to help my fellow man? Then I realize as I look at my reflections I can. I am not just a Nigerian sometimes, and an American others; I am a Nigerian-American. That hyphen brings together my two cultures and two separate worlds. Now as I look at myself, I see one image, one person who is planning to take the world by storm.
Instead of one figure, I see two separate images struggling to be my dominant self.

As I look at my reflections, I realize that I can.

Brilliant!! This is a great, interesting way to write the essay.
yourichang 3 / 3  
is it not

"Why can I not" instead of "Why cannot I"?
but I'm doubting myself..it looks like you're a good writer with creativity.
OP sababy993 2 / 2  
Thank you soo much for the comments.

Home / Undergraduate / Gtown about me essay