"Guatemalan household" - Art Institute Admissions - Major: Culinary Arts

ashlyXD 1 / 1  
Being raised in a Guatemalan household I was encompassed in the fragrant smells of chiles and other vegetables blended together to make a savory sauce. Christmas was a time where all my favorite foods were brought together, especially tamales. I was bred in to a family of fantastic cooks and from a young age I took interest into how things were prepared. After absorbing all the information like a sponge, I started cooking for myself. I started off with basics such as Krafts Macaroni and Cheese and advanced on to other recipes like beef mango stir fry. My mother and sister were always my appointed taste testers After having enough successful dishes to back me up I started cooking for my friends and extended family. My eagerness to learn more about culinary arts really set in about two years ago after being praised for my creamy potato soup I made for Christmas It has now become a regular dish during the holidays. It was then when my family made me realize I had a talent for cooking. I have all the passion for it but no academic knowledge or technique. Since I'd be the first person in my immediate family to go through college I've had no one who can really teach me everything about cooking. The countless hours and shows I've watched on the Food Network cannot amount to the hands on experience I would be able to learn at The Illinois Institue of Art. Being accepted in to this institution would be one of the very first steps into acheiving my long term career goals. Having a degree in the culinary arts would open a door of possibilities into the everything I'm passionate for. Whether I strive to be a private chef or work at a five star restraunt, I know I will need the guidance of the educators and staff from Institue of Art to turn my passion into a career.

So far that's 325 word. Minum 150. Do you think it's too long? The Question is Describe how an education at The Illinois Institute of Art-Chicago will help them attain their career goals.
angel2707 1 / 5  
i personally think that it's great that you write about how you started cooking at very young age. I suggest you add few sentences about how your experience being raised in Guatemalan household affects your dish/ something like that. from your essay i can see that you have the strong will to learn, but you might wanna add about why do you fall in love with cooking.

everything else is already great :) but that's just an opinion, since i am also a student who's been struggling with my essay too - not a professional editor. goodluck !
OP ashlyXD 1 / 1  
Do you think it strides away from the question? Any incorrect grammar or punctuation?
angel2707 1 / 5  
I'm also not really good at grammar, not the best person to ask :( your essay does answer the question but i think you can really give them more.

anyway, it'd be nice if you can criticize my essay also. suggestions are more that welcome!
encompassed

I don't think this is the best word for the occasion.

After absorbing all the information like a sponge, I started cooking for myself.-----I don't know if this sentence is necessary. Less is more. Maybe you can leave this sentence out and let the reader discern for herself what you mean. Go straight into this sentence: I started off with basics such as...

I have all the passion for it but no academic knowledge or technique. ---This is refreshing candor. Great job!

Since I'd be the first person in my immediate family to go through college I've had no one who can could really teach me everything about cooking.

Very persuasive. This one is a winner! And if they don't accept you, it's their loss.

Home / Undergraduate / "Guatemalan household" - Art Institute Admissions - Major: Culinary Arts