"Guns don't kill people, people kill people"; Suny Common App

Bape95 2 / 3  
It was December 14, 2012, and the News was flooding. Each channel I turned to had Ground Breaking News with headlines like: "SCHOOL SHOOTING, SCHOOL SHOOTING! at Sandy Hook Elementary School" and "27 DEAD".

That's what I was hearing when I arrived home from school at 1:35pm. After hearing more information on the news about the weapons that were used in the shooting, (three semi-automatic firearms, a 223-caliber Bushmaster XM-15 rifle, a 10mm Glock 20 SF handgun and a 9mm SIG Sauer handgun), I had heard there was a shotgun found in the shooter's car parked in front of the school. In my mind I thought, "Is this man going to war in Iraq? The weapons used in the shooting weren't your typical weapon for hunting except for the shotgun found in the car." It became clear to me that there was tremendous issue with guns in our country. Not with guns itself, but semi-automatic assault rifles type guns being distributed and sold. And the outcome of this is guns are ending up in the wrong hands of people who miss use them.

Also there had been a pattern of school shootings in the United States dating back to the 1700s. Such as, when four Lenape American Indians entered a schoolhouse, they were shot and killed by schoolmaster Enoch Brown. Every year or every two years there has been a school shooting or a public massacre happening in the United States that doesn't receive the coverage it deserves. Many people ask themselves, including myself, "How are these children and young adults acquiring these types of weapons?" Many of the children and young adults who get their hands on guns do so because their parent or family members are not securing their weapons, making it easy to obtain. There are also those people who have gun licenses who go to gun shows and buy bulks of semi-automatics and assault rifles and distribute them into the streets where anyone can obtain them for a high price. And then from there buyers just keep on reselling and the cycle never ends.

In my opinion I agree with the NRA slogan "Guns don't kill people, people kill people," because a gun is a weapon that is controlled by a human being you have to pull the trigger for something to go off. But at the same time the United States government should go to the legislative and the Supreme Court and rewrite the second amendment explaining and limiting the type of guns that are allowed to be sold in the United States. The NRA should band together with the United States government on cracking down on weapons being sold illegally on the streets, and limit the amount of guns a person can own. They also should start advising gun shop owners to do a thorough screening and background checks on gun buyers and future buyers so people can't acquire guns so easily.
OP Bape95 2 / 3  
yes it was suppose to be about an issue impacting your high school, community, country or the world ans why it is important to you thank you can you give me a little more feed back if i made my point on why it was an issue.
NicoleO 3 / 9 1  
I totally agree. Your essay is on point. Punctuation and capitalization are minor issues in your essay.
This is well written. I wish if you had posted the essay prompt too, so that we can comment on its alignment to the prompt as well. I guess the topic may be something like "National issue". However, this is very well presented and hope it is in line with what the prompt asks for.

I only wish if you changed this line as some people may find it racial because you are specifically pointing at one country. That's just a suggestion and not my opinion. :)

"Is this man going to war in Iraq?

Overall, very good job!
& GOOD LUCK!
jkjeremy - / 380 72  
Please don't take offense because my intent is to help...

Have you any idea how many essays about this subject the Common App is going to read this year?

Even experts in this area have a hard time saying anything new or original about gun control.

If you want your essay to make a difference in your application, change your topic right away.
I like the way you write. It catches the reader's eye. I wish you had posted the prompt however. I'm sure the topic would have been an interesting one as well. Overall, it's really really good.

Well done!! :)

Home / Undergraduate / "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"; Suny Common App