Why GWU, Any comments?

arthur3259 2 / 2  
Not sure if this is a good essay wrote it in a few hours, any comments or reccomendationgs? Would go a long way...thanks in advance

College. Every single college has something special to offer its students in their own way. Whether it is academics, social life, or an entire experience, every college has something to offer. The experience at college is an experience that many frequently reflect on and cherish in many years after it. After researching and visiting various schools, only one college was able to bring every positive experience about college in their information session. It was The George Washington University.

Before visiting GWU, my older sister repeatedly troubled me on visiting schools while I stayed with her in D.C. However, it was me that refused to go and preferred to just hang out and enjoy the D.C. aesthetics. Eventually, she forced me to take an informational tour and visit George Washington University. Immediately upon arrival, I kept asking questions like; Do you think I could actually get into this place? Don't get my hopes up, can I really? After she gave me all positive responses, I knew that this school would be the perfect fit for me.

Walking around campus with my group members and tour guide, I was blown away with the beauty of the campus. I thought no college in the entire world could ever look as beautiful as this one. The tour guide showed me how GWU was for me. It was the perfect school in the perfect place.

Being in D.C. is in my mind, currently one of the most important places a young, African-American individual could live. With having a black president, I believe, that as an African-American living only blocks away from the white house is a major inspiration and only a plus to why I would want to be enrolled at George Washington University.

I believe that graduating from a top school like GWU, I would be able to embark on a career in finance or banking despite the current economic downturn. Everything that a prospective undergraduate student takes into account for picking colleges, George Washington University has.

If was accepted to every single school in the entire nation, the one I would choose is The George Washington University. Just by taking a tour with a stranger that was a current student, I felt as if the entire community was like a family. My tour guide was able to show me what GWU was and what I meant to her. There is no college that I think is better than The George Washington University, being accepted into it, is a real honor and an extremely great accomplishment that anyone can be proud of.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
College. Every single college has something special to offer its students in their own way. Whether it is academics, social life, or an entire experience, every college has something to offer. The experience at college is an experience that many frequently reflect on and cherish in many years after it.

Seriously, do you think the admissions officers at GWU need you to say any of this? Does it tell them anything they don't already know? More to the point, does it tell them anything about you?

After researching and visiting various schools, only one college was able to bring every positive experience about college in their information session. It was The George Washington University.

Besides being grammatically incorrect, this again says nothing at all about you. Presumably, every applicant is applying to this particular school because, after searching around, they decided it met their criteria.

I think that, perhaps, you are taking the question "Why GWU?" too literally. They don't need you to tell them how great they are. They know! What they need to know from you is why you are a good match for them. What about you makes GWU the right school for you?

At least you invested only a couple of hours in this first try. Start over.
jemma2011 4 / 19  
I made the same mistake when I wrote the Yale essay. I wrote on and on about how Yale great is. The thing is like Simone said, they know this. Pick a story that demonstrate who you are and provides them with a glimpse of how GSW will push you to become the best person you can be. also, Make it more vivid . Key to an essay, is show, don't tell.
Moonshadow0302 - / 68  
Invest in a little research about the university before you write about why it is a good fit for you. Find out what about the university really excites you - apart from the fact that it has a beautiful campus, and that Washington is where Obama lives/works.

Check out the courses, especially the one you want to study, how would these courses help you achieve your goals. Check out the extracurriculars - the student clubs, workshops, events. See how all these fit in with your ambitions, desires, etc.

This will give the adcom a clearer idea of what kind of person you are, what you are looking for and how you would fit in with the student community at the univ.

Home / Undergraduate / Why GWU, Any comments?