Gym gave me a new found confidence; Common App/ Topic of your choice

Genieo 3 / 4 1  
This is my common app 500 word essay, it falls into two categories, well at least I believe it does, would you ladies and gentlemen be as kind to critique my essay as well as suggest which title it should come under even if it's "Topic of your choice"

I had just walked off the red bus (the one everyone associates with London) and started my walk to St. Georges Centre. "You can do it Eugene" My motivational Voice began to kick in and inspire me, but to no avail. There was a flurry of shoppers today, all standing out in their nice dress clothes. I stood out because of my basic clothing and my large duffel bag.

It took me a minute to get to the escalator, a trip that usually took five seconds, but today was different, far different from any other day; it was the day that was going to change my life. Placing my foot on the escalator was not soothing at all; the mechanical movement of which I had no control over adding to my nervousness made me feel like a train wreck. They say time waits for no man, but this time round I believed time was somehow taking liberties with me and insulting my very existence.

I had finally gotten up to the first floor, standing outside T.K. Maxx and hoping that I was going shopping instead of the dreading nightmare that was awaiting me on the second floor. Yet again I stood out like a sore thumb, white tee, and tracksuit bottoms; everyone knew where I was going. I rounded the corner and saw the McDonalds store, I was on a first name basis with the store clerks, and greeted them before I made my way. I think they were even surprised that I had not bought anything before taking the stairs.

Finally, I was there, after the series of flights I had broken into a sweat and was out of breath. I saw it from the corner of my eye, Fitness First, where I was supposed to attend every day of the month religiously. I handed in my member's card to the attractive receptionist, she smiled back at me, maybe it is her job, but I still think she likes me. This calmed me down considerably, until she handed my card back to me and said "Have a nice workout".

I made my way past the turnstiles and my large Duffel bag decided to make me look awkward, getting caught on one of the turnstiles. By now there was nothing I could do, I was in the gym, I had to work out or else, I would stay in this morbid, anxious and nervous state of mind for the rest of my life. Once I had placed down my bag, I got into the main lobby, there were people of various sizes, even bigger than me, this gave me the confidence to move from machine to machine, trying out new things. After several continuous visits to the gym, I can say it has given me a new found confidence, one to approach any task and situation with the knowledge that enough practice makes one perfect.

Thank you!
You write very well. And your sentences are very clear. But the idea of freaking out to go to a gym? hmmm.. To be honest as I was reading your essay I thought it might have been a job interview or something.
enigma33 2 / 44 3  
I really like the idea but i feel you should add a bit more to the part pertaining how it has changed you/shaped your life. If you hit the word limit try cutting out of your journey to the gym...

Home / Undergraduate / Gym gave me a new found confidence; Common App/ Topic of your choice