"Hakuna matata, what a wonderful phrase!" - Stanford Roommate Supplement Essay

angelserenite 9 / 14  
Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better.

"Hakuna matata, what a wonderful phrase!" If I start singing randomly, please don't mind. After all, my sweet mezzo-soprano voice will uplift the weary and calm the restless. Not really, of course, but if it does, everyone should drop those pills and join a choir!

Roomie, I hope you don't mind how quirky I am. Instead of being eccentric, I like to think of myself as kaleidoscopic as everyone sees sundry sides of me. My vitality might be a little overwhelming as my artistic side likes to take over and color the black and white world with vibrant shades of blue for tranquility, red for passion, and yellow for righteous vision. While I may seem vivacious to you, I may be shy and building up the courage to talk to the guy sitting next to me. You may see me listening carefully and offering you a shoulder as you tearfully tell me about your breakup this week, and the next day, frankly criticizing your painting. I may walk into Best Buy asking the sales associate about the RAM memory and processor of a new laptop model and leave the store with a Kindle that I bought on a whim. I may stubbornly not hand you that notebook whilst in an argument and apologize to you later with a hug. Wow, God created such complex human beings!

I am Christine, the Korean girl with "oriental bangs"-as my older brother calls them-and coffee colored hair who stealthily walks in the room with one mission objective: brighten up your day! I am the older sister with four male siblings who wears the pants in the house whenever that cute skirt comes off. As you deduced, I am a Christian, but will not force my religion on you as I respect your beliefs. I am an adventurer who would like to set sail to the Red Sea and perhaps see Phrixus on the golden ram.

I hope to see you soon as we both ride on that wondrous wave of academia with the sea of multivariable calculus to our right and Plato and Aristotle to our left, ready to excite our intellectual acumen and take a step closer in ameliorating the world.
fishie21 3 / 17  
youre word choice and essay has a bouncy feel to it. i like how you show me who you are. beautiful! great job.

IF you have a chance, please read my stanford essay. review is appreciated :))
runner57 3 / 9  
I absolutely loved it! but this part is phrased awkwardly i think : I may stubbornly not hand you that notebook whilst in an argument and apologize to you later with a hug.

other than that it was great!
P334243 3 / 14  
Hey,I think that your essay achieves it purpose, and reveals you character, and is even telling of the kind of diversity you could bring to Stanford. Maybe you could combine the last two paragraphs into one.

Good luck!

**If you could look over my Princeton supplement essay (the revised one), I would appreciate it. Thanks!
hanakml 2 / 19  
I seriously smiled the whole time I was reading this! It's extremely well written and I feel like I actually know you now. I kinda wanna be your roomie now, haha :D

Good luck with everything!
& if you don't mind, could you take a look at a few of my essay. I would love some feedback from such a great writer!
maianh94 6 / 18  
bubbly and energetic. at first i thought your were kind of forcing it, but your explanation for the writing made it okay. i don't really get why you explained the meanings of the colors, and i think you should ditch the "whilst," but i like the flow
aricar17 4 / 8  
loved it! very revealing of your character. your quirky, bubbly nature comes through even from the way you write!
CheesyCake 4 / 14  
wow it is very well written. just some grammar mistakes, which are pointed out already by above posters.

Home / Undergraduate / "Hakuna matata, what a wonderful phrase!" - Stanford Roommate Supplement Essay