A handwritten letter describing my family and educational ambitions - admission

Alice_ 1 / 4  
I am applying for college and I have to write a handwritten letter describing my family and educational ambitions. Unfortunately I never had a deal with such letters :( Please someone give an advice of how to start such essay and what to include in it and what not.

Thanks for your time.
tal105 7 / 130  
seems prettty straight forward
my suggestion, turn it around to be COMPLETELY about you without sounding concieted. like the whole family part. dedicate a paragraph, if that, to them, and then tie it into something about you. always make it about you lol.

educational ambitions. what do you want to be, and maybe how that cmae about im guessing.

yea, now that im writing this out, this is pretty ridiculo.
any suggestions from other members??
Llamapoop123 7 / 442  
Yes it's always about you. Although don't do the "My family has always supported me" thing. Also don't make it sound choppy like "My family is..." so "therefore i am...". If your family has affected your educational ambitions it would be a great way to combine the two topics and make your essay more fluent insead of devoting a paragraph to your family and then another to educational ambitions. Watch out for transitions. Also don't leave out EXAMPLES of why your family is like what it's like and also why your educational ambitions are what they are. I don't know how long this essay is supposed to be but good luck
Yes, if you can link the two things, family and educational ambitions, then your essay will flow much more smoothly. It is difficult to give you specific feedback, as I have no idea what your family is like or what your educational ambitions are. Why not write up a rough draft, even if its a really bad first draft, and post it here so we have something to work with when we try to help you?
OP Alice_ 1 / 4  
ok THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!! :) I got some ideas, so i will try my best to post a draft today...
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
Since the prompt asks for a letter rather than an essay, you could approach it creatively, by addressing the letter to someone unexpected.
patty123 2 / 5  
i woudl say
link ur family experiences
and its impact on you
OP Alice_ 1 / 4  
They also asks to include your interests, achievements and hopes for the future. And it also should be not fewer than 500 words.

It is not an exception that it might be the worst thing what you had to read !!!! So please judge, comment, etc
and thank u ALL for the advices.

Education is very important in our family, and my parents doing every thing to give my brother and me a good education which will help us in the future. My parents both have stable careers, what a good example for us. My mother has two high educations, which are a doctor and a psychologist, my dad is an architect and my brother just finished university this summer, he is a biologist and going to the medical MBA. I have a great family, what makes my life colorful. I as the youngest in my family still in high school but decided to change this status by applying to ccss. Currently I live in United Arab Emirate and have finished grade ten. I basically finished high school, the program in grade eleven and twelve includes preparation for university. I think it would be better to apply for college and not waist these two years perhaps it has all education what you need before entering the university.

Five years ago I told my parents that I would like to study in English school. In Moscow we have some English schools but it's not what I wanted. Then my mom suggested going to United Arab Emirates. And this was it; smile on my face reached my ears. So from grade six I studied in English school.

Last year I champed from grade eight to grade ten. It was a tough year for me because I took material for grade ten and at the same time I studied material for grade nine. Plus I started my school before two weeks of term one exams; I tried to catch up with all material but still had conflicts with some subjects on the exam. By the end of the year I was much better and passed all the exams. I also received a present from school by being one of best students, present included itself a golf classes in a golf club.

I started to take art classes since I was five. So I started my artistic life and continue it to this day. Before I traveled to Emirates, I studied two years in art school. Since I live there, I also take classes in art school and have private art lessons with a teacher. I collected lots of my drawings, and had twice my own exhibition in art school and once in general school, and once in the hotel. I am a very creative person; use my creativity wherever I can. Last summer I decided to try making some accessories with real gems. Principle of art school saw the accessories and suggested to make an exhibition in their center and it was successful because people said its magnificent. I don't think that is magnificent as they said, its just became one of my hobbies.

I am a very kind, compassionate, soft girl as my close friends will tell you. I have a good sense of humor. I am also a very straight and honest person. At first I come of as a very shy individualistic girl but once I get to know people and are comfortable with my environment I am normal. I respect every one and don't like to judge any one. I love to draw. I also enjoy math and chemistry. I have a lot of activities, such as horse riding, art design, reading, visiting museums and cinemas, drama clubs, golf, photography, ice skiing, animals, swimming, table tennis, volleyball, cooking, learning different languages and of course as everyone I guess I love traveling and learn new cultures.

As a child and even as a teenager one tends to make dreams and set goals for life. Applying for ccss I think is a good opportunity to rich my goals. I found that I have a lot in common with ccss. Even through I heard that studying in ccss in not one of easiest but I am ready to study and to achieve my goals. I know that success in my future lies only in my own hands.

It took me around half of the year to convince my parents to let me study in London. My parents never allow me go some where alone and when I came up with the idea of sending me to ccss, of course they were shocked. After a while they realized that it's only temperately and I can visit then on holidays. I would like to finish ccss and then pass all the exams into Architecture University.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
This is supposed to be a letter? To whom is it written? Why are you telling this person these things? Pay attention to the prompt: They are not asking for an essay about you; they are asking for a handwritten letter. If you are writing a letter, then it must be addressed to someone. To whom is this letter addressed? Decide that, and the result will be better.
OP Alice_ 1 / 4  
I contacted the Administrator and they said that it can be a letter addressed to Mark Filler or written as an essay. What is better ?
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
I think you are simply not understanding my suggestion, which is to creatively use the possibilities opened up by being asked to write a letter rather than an essay. That being the case, perhaps you should stick with an essay.

Home / Undergraduate / A handwritten letter describing my family and educational ambitions - admission