"Happiness is a choice"; Stanford Supp - Letter to Roommate

kellyjanemartin 3 / 18 2  
Okay, so I'm not completely happy with this because I totes feel that something's missing, but I would love your opinion!! I do have, like, 475-ish characters left, so if you have suggestions or changes (especially for the third paragraph) let me know!! Thankies, and please check out my other supplements!!

Virtually all of Stanford's undergraduates live on campus. Write a note to your future roommate that reveals something about you or that will help your roommate - and us - know you better.

Hey girlie!

Bubbly. Upbeat. Optimistic. Cheery. Spirited. Happy. Add "a little too" in front of any of those, and that's how my friends describe me. It may just be their grumpy morning moods that are bothered by my effervescent spirit because, by late morning, my positive attitude spreads like wildfire.

If there's one major thing you should know about me, it's that I make the conscious effort to be happy. It's not that I'm so lucky that nothing bad ever happens to me-it's that I believe that when presented with an adverse situation, we have a choice to make: we can wallow in our sorrows and wait for someone else to pick us up, brush us off, and send us on our way, or we can stand up. I always, without exception, choose the latter.

I take it upon myself to create my own happiness, whether in a social or academic setting. With my strong sense of determination, I strive to be the very best version of me. If I'm ever in a state of discontentment, I'm quick to make whatever change is necessary to make myself and others happy.

Before we move in and embark on our great college journey, know that I'll always be there when you need a bud. If you ever need a late-night talk, some heartfelt advice, or just a shoulder to cry on/someone to just listen, I'm totally there for you. If you're in need of a girls' day or a midnight chick flick marathon, I'll have the nail polish and popcorn at the ready. And if you need to pull an all-nighter to cram for your Stat final, I'll be waiting with the coffee.

Happiness is a choice. Let's choose it together.

Love and hugs,
Kelly Martin
CMB19932015 3 / 18 4  
I really like your essay but I think that it was a little to much. I would change the end to something about you personally and not something that you want your roommate to do or the choice you want her to make.
ding377 1 / 29 2  
I really love this letter! :) I think it's perfect as it is.
dsamps23 - / 6 1  
maybe also add a little example of a time where you made that choice. other than that it seems really genuine!
OP kellyjanemartin 3 / 18 2  
Thanks for the input!! Are there any sentences that are confusing or that may need clarification?
I'll post an updated version in a few minutes after I get an edit in.
yuzec95 3 / 25  
I reaally love your essay. You would be the perfect roommate for me.
But also try and include the fact that you're okay with whoever your roommate is.
What if she's the opposite of bubbly and cheerful?
HarvardAccept - / 57 24  
The whole point of this essay is for Stanford to pair up people that are similar in nature and make them roommates :).

Reply to yuzec95
jfloyd1879 4 / 10  
Include your desire to make others happy earlier in the essay when you describe your desire for yourself to be happy. This will help it transition into where you explain what you'll do for her as a roommate.
mayfl0wer 6 / 48  
This is cute but a little bit too 'I AM GOING TO SHOVE HAPPINESS DOWN YOUR THROAT WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT.'

Home / Undergraduate / "Happiness is a choice"; Stanford Supp - Letter to Roommate